Hiatus Hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've just recently been diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia by having an endoscopy, (which was horrendous) its 5cm long and was very inflamed, I've been put on Lansoprazole and have to return in 12 weeks for another endoscopy to check for Barretts Esophagus, the doctor that diagnosed me had very limited English and I didn't fully understand the diagnosis as I have no symptoms of any acid reflux... Is this a lifetime condition I have or can it be treated?  I have googled Barretts and I have scared myself as cancer is mentioned and now I'm very worried. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Hiatus hernia is very common in the population. In most people it causes litlle or no problem but for those of us prone to frequent reflux, it's a common culprit. Some of the stomach has been pushed up (herniated) though the hiatis hole in the diaphragm the oesophagus passes through. But it is just where the muscles that form the Lower Oesophageal Sphincter reside.

The hernia can impede the normal function of the LOS eeacerbating reflux.

Reflux of acid frequently will remove the mucosal layer and cause scarring and inflammation to the oesophagus (oesophagitis). Lansoprazole will reduce the acid so reflux will be less damaging.

If bile refluxes along with the acid, the sub-mucosa or structure of the oesophagus may be compromised.

Barrett's Oesophagus is the body's way of defending itself from attack.

I liken the cells lining the oesophagus to dominoes lying on a table. Barrett's replaces these with "columnar" cells which are like dominoes standing on end - providing a smaller surface area for attack and moving the pain receptors further away from the surface.

But Barrett's is a bit like a mischievous friend that cannot be trusted.

The columnar cells are permanent and cannot be cured or go away by themselves (although they can be removed by ablation). For the vast majority of us with Barrett's we'll ahve it all our life and learn to accept it and forget about it. I've had my 3cm Barrett's for at least 21 years unchanged and expect to have it until I die of something totally unrelated.

But there is  the possibility that the columnar cells can mutate through stages of dysplasia to oesophageal cancer.

If they do find Barrett's, you'll take your lansoprazole for life and receive regular surveillance every few yeasr to check no dysplasia is seen. If it is, you'll be offered ablation to completely remove your Barrett's cells to minimise any risk of progression to cancer.

If you want to learn more, look for DownWithAcid org uk a FREE book I've nearly finished compiling or Google "Barrett's Wessex", the chairty I co-founded and chair.

• Posted

Thank you Barretts so much for your informative reply, I feel relieved after reading it. 
  • Posted

Thank you Barretts so much for your informative reply, I feel relieved after reading it. 
  • Posted

Hi Flynn 

Hi I was just reading your post and you said your endoscopy was horrendous' may I ask why? I'm scheduled to have one next week and am so scared, and might cancel. Don't know if I even really need it. So any information would be appreciated.

thank you

• Posted

Hi Jen

I never elected to be sedated I went for the throat numbing spray as I thought how bad can this be!  I found it horrendous the minute the doctor asked me to swallow the probe, I gagged throughout the whole process as it was pushed further and further down, the nurse had to 'hoover' my mouth as you lay on your side for the procedure and I was bringing up acid and bile, to be fair it was over within 5 minutes but it was the longest 5 minutes ever! I have to have this repeated in 3 months and I will be sedated next time Drs orders, his reported stated that I struggled, I was calm I wasn't afraid but I just couldn't stop myself heaving. 

• Posted

Jen please don't cancel your appt, you must have had some symptoms of something for the Dr to refer you for an Endoscopy, I'm here I lived to tell the tale and although I found it 'horrendous' I'd do it again with no sedation if it was for my health. Yes I gagged and heaved throughout the whole process but a lot of people don't! But if your like me elect to be sedated and make the process easier. Please come back here and let me know how you got on and their findings :-) 
  • Posted

Years ago I was in a study for a new med for reflux.  Had several endoscopes without sedation to avoid hanging around for sedation to wear off! Got over$1500 so was pleased.  Not bad if you relax and breathe. But if it's a onetime thing and you have a friend to go with, hey have the meds to relax you.  Btw, first pill I said I had the real pill, not a placebo.  Testers had no idea of course.  After found it was Pantolac a good drug for reflux.
    • Posted

Pantoloc = pantoprazole one of the family of PPIs.

About 20 years ago, I signed up for a drugs trial for a new drug that was to replace cisapride, which had been quite a good prokinetic aiding peristalsis but was withdrawn due to its affect on the heart. I pulled out at the last minute because I was scared of the scoping. I often wonder how those tests went because that new drug never materialised.

(I did read a research paper on a new motility drug a few months ago which I'd never heard of nor anyone else I spoke to about it. Perhaps I need to catalogue my archive of hundreds of research links as it will take several hours to look through them all to find it.)

But, whereas PPIs are good for acid reduction, it would be good if there were a simple pill that reduced reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.