statin induced? dysuatuonima

Posted , 2 users are following.

ive had some serious side effects from a statin that hasnt got better in a month, it consists of an all of a sudden increased heart rate, 100-110 sometimes when lying down even 120, dizziness out of the blue just laying down like vertigo and feeling very hot, i ended up in hospital with an abnormal ecg. i managed a stress test but my heart rate got to 200, toward end. my echo came back fine. i am wondering, is this dysautonima, my bowels are loose alot and my kidneys are functioning hard according to blood tests. i cant get doctors to take me seriously i took one statin, i also get muscle spasms not sure where to turn with this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds very like it Josh. I think you should suggest that your GP looks into this. You don't state your age, are you 1) double jointed? 2) have you got an autoimmune disease or 3) have you recently had an operation, trauma, stress, that makes you think of Dysautomnia? It's a medical name for your body being out of balance. You describe bowel probs, have you been tested for Coliac? If not that would be a start. Your description sounds like a form of POTS again you do need to discuss everything with your GP. I would download the POTS UK notes for medical professionals to take with you. Good Luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Pam, im 24, these symptoms all started after taking one 40 mg statin, as hard as that may seem to believe, Ive just come out of hospital after 3 days, and i seriously thought it was something to do with my heart, as ive been having chest pains anyway all the tests such as echo show no problem with the muscle or with blood pumping I managed the stress test, although afterwards I ended up in a cold sweat but it settled pretty quick. Im not doublejointed nor do i have an autoimmune disease. The only thing is ive recently had alot of stress from panic attacks, but my 24/7 monitor at hospital showed my heart rate was elevated whenever doing activity. when i mentioned pots it was not acknowledged but the cardiologists acknowledge there are abnormalities with the rhythm of my heart but they dont know why and the speed of my heart rate... i have not been tested for coliac. at a bit of a loss here i will mention it to my gp, but it is hard to get people to listen, when an unlikely event such as this happens and you have a history of anxiety and yet, there have been changes in my body proved by blood tests and ecg's.
    • Posted

obviously when i say elevated, the nurses had to see if my stress test was going ahead as i went from 90 rest seated to 110 stood on the treadmill, which is high considering im only 14 stone. anyway pots or statin side effects seem to be little they know about...sad
    • Posted

What were you given statins for Josh? This is obviously causing your problems? Statins are not usually offered to a patient as young as you. They do have side effects all medication does. I wonder if your stress needs to be addressed. You say your not double jointed and you don't have an autoimmune disease. Has your GP checked that you don't have a positive ANA? do you have any swelling, pain, rashes? If not then what is causing your bowels to be upset. It could be stress, you may have an allergy problem. Have you thought along these lines? Stress will cause cold sweats, and bowel hurry. If it's stress see your GP! Then if you don't think it's stress related and you have had as you say heart tests, then 1) why were you given a statin?!  So then think bowels. Thinking along these lines do you get frequent mouth ulcers? Do your bowels get worse after easing certain food groups like milk or grains? See your GP and get tested for Coeliac. Do you feel dizzy or faint? Look up POTS UK! there has to be a reason for your being prescribed statins at 24! 
    • Posted

i wasnt prescribed statins pam, i took one, as at the time i was getting chest pain, and they were suggested to me by my grandfather, who took them, obviously he shouldnt have nonchalantly said you could have one of my statins if you're worried about cholestorol as i was quite worried at the time, but it seems to have done something to me, it made my muscles cramp 2 hours after and now all of a sudden im dizzy all the time even when lying down, get hot, and have had abnormal ecg's and have a faster heart rate than I did. its been a month now and no improvement, my bowels then had diarroeah at times but also are okay at times and my kidneys showed they were working but functioning hard and i noticed the change in my urine, this is all since i took one statin, i have not and will not take another i was worried previously and had chest pain but had none of these symptoms.

I am facing a hard challenge here pam, because one its hard to get people to take this serious as its very unlikely to have happened. two, there is nothing phsyically provable apart from the fact that my heart is acting strangely and i feel these symptoms, which are different to panic attack symptoms ive felt and were provable enough that ive been in hospital 3 days, and now speaking to a cardiologist as i would have moments of it in the hospital lying down and then showing an abnormal ecg, but my thoughts are falling on deaf ears, and im out of the hospital now still feeling the same way, with really no answers, it was not attributed to panic by the heart team as they have followed it up, they say it has slight rhythym abnormalities, but i had none of this before the statin!

How do i get any sort of help for this at all. I might end up having to talk to PALS.

• Posted

Josh I think you are learning the hard way NEVER TAKE A DRUG THAT HASNT BEEN PRESCRIBED FOR YOU! Now just calm down, you have been in hospital, they will have checked you are OK! I think you are having a panic attack, if you feel this is then look up PANIC ATTACKS! Just try to forget the statin, live life your young, your fit and healthy. If you still feel this in a week see your GP as he might need to refer you for help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.