Do you know a good bunion surgeron in San Diego?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Planning to do a second surgery in my other foot, could you recomend a good surgern?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Can you check with the origional dr that did the other one for a referral?

If not there are many food referrals you can obtain online in your area or ask your GP for one if you have one. Also check with the hospital near you. Ask about referrals and complaints. 

I don't think it a good idea to just ask and trust anyone here who may have had a good experience. Check with your doctor his client base may have referrals.

Remember a podiatrist specializes in foot surgery and can only operate below the ankle. An orthopedist can operate and specialize on any joint. 

Most importantly it's a good idea to go to a surgeon who has done many over a year and lots of experience !  Generally I would prefer a doctor who has many years of experience and does many in a year than a young doctor with little experience. That takes a bit of research.

Good luck...I hope you find a great dr. In the San Diego area I'm sure you will have no problems finding a well experienced doctor .

• Posted

Thank you VERY much for your advise.  I don't want to do the other foot with the same dr. because I am afraid he didn't do the surgery correct in my foot.  He had been in practice for 10 years.  When I had my surgry, there was a line of ladies waiting for having a  surgery with him so I thought he was good. However,sSince the day of the surgery I noticed that my toe with the bunion was not straight.  After 6 weeks I cannot walk in any shoe.  I have to use the boot (hard plastic), have inflamation on my  and shooting pain on the place of the bunion and hammer toe.  Very dissapointed.  I have an appt with my GP for a second opinion for this surgery. 

Thank you again for your email.

• Posted

I had the surgery on the right foot.  It looks the same as my other foot that has the bunion.
    • Posted

My mistake was that I didn't read all the evaluations from this dr before my surgery because there were a lot, later I read that all of them were from minor interventions such as nails, injections etc but none from surgeries.  I wonder why now if he has 2 days assigned to do surgeries of bunions.  That is why I ask people in this forum because they already went through the surgery.
  • Posted

Sometimes if the bunion is extreme the doctor may not want to overcorrect where they shift it to the other side too much.

It seems in your case it was under-corrected.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer.  I am concerned that I am in week 7 and still have inflammation on the foot enough to prevent to put my foot inside a sandal.  Incidentaly did you find a good sandals to wear.  I have tried Keen, Maphisto, Teva, and Birkinstan and the one that helps a little is Teva but I cannot close the straps on the toes.  Please let me know your experience.  Have a good day.
  • Posted

Hi marisol

I did not have any problems after surgery but I saw your photo and it seems that your incision was done on the side of your foot.Maybe that is why it hurts you so much. I had no pain but I did not wear shoes till after 8 weeks as per DR orders. I had crutches and a big heavy black boot to wear. When I had my surgery, the incision was done on the top of the foot. I know you were concerned because your foot did not look any different than the left. It appears that your doctor just shaved the bone down. Do you know? You see my doctor had to totally move and reposition the metatarsal. He did not shave it. By moving the bone to be straight that reduced the angle of the bones. I was not allowed to put weight on the foot because the bones had to fuse again. I had both feet done and I feel the same way you do. You want to make sure you get a good doctor. Ask your doctor if he just shaved the bone on the lateral side. If he did that is why your bone toe is still going inward but the outer bump has been removed.

• Posted

Hi Mar,

Thank you VERY much for your advise.  Because my bunion was getting so painful, I decided to do the surgery but now the pains are worst that before.  I went with this dr because the person in charge of referrals from my primary dr told me that he was the only one that was in the lsit of my insurance.  I asked them to double check and they assured me that they were correct.  I diid not want to go with this dr because I saw him previoully for having my orthotics done and he was very short and pretend he was in a hurry all the time.  The second time I went to check my foot for surgery, the only thing he told me was that he was going to place a pin in my hammmer to that will dissolved and left the room.  No more info.  Having no choice of doctors and the need to get rid of the pain of the bunion I went and did the surgery.  After 7 1/2 weeks I went to his office with the  posr op black shoe because no shoe fit me and he said that I was ready to go to work (I work standing up all day and he knows that).  He toook some X rays and showed me the "pins" on my toes.  My family doctor sent me to have another x rays taken the following day of my visit with the surgeon and THERE WERE NO PINS!

Now I am 9 weeks with a lot of pain because the 2 toes that were under surgery are too low that I don't have any blance and all my weight goes to different place of my foot.  my ankle is swalloed my knee hurts as well as the upper part of my leg.  I requested and saw  a second opinion dr yesterday.  He requested all the medical records from the first dr.  I am waiting for these documents to be transfer. I will let you know what happens.  Please send me good wishes.  I need them.  Thanks to all of you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.