Incisional Hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I had an ermergency appendectomy 15 months ago.  In January I discovered a hernia at the top of my scar (just under the breast bone).  Was referred to Consultant, but due to several mess ups was eventually seen and told I had two hernias!  The original one plus another at the bottom of the scar just above my pubic bone.

Unfortunately only the upper one is suitable for laparoscopic surgery the other will have to be open surgery.  I am due to go into hospital on the 6th October and am really worried.  Had an awful time after last year's surgery with drains, tube in nose, infections etc. and ended up over two weeks in hospital.  Both hernias are very big and protrusive and I am really worried about post op and recovery time.  I am a very slim (can't eat properly at the moment) and 69, I was very fit before the original surgery and was slowly getting back there and really feel my life is on hold.

Can anyone out there give me any advice please to let me know their experiences.  thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Twinsky,

Never been through this, but I will prayer for a speedy recovery for you.

• Posted

Hi my bowel perforated 2and a half years ago, had all same stuff as you, gastro nasal tube, wound infection, in-hospital for more than 2 weeks nearly 3, district nursing came for about a month when I did get home, so know what you are talking about.  I had a hernia repair and abdominaplasty almost exactly one year ago today, I had an open repair with mesh all done in one go, if all goes well the recovery is a bit easier than the first time no gastro nasal tube no infection, home after 5 days.  My strategy was to find the best surgeon to do my op I went to Edinburgh and got my repair done on the NHS by Mr andrew de Beaux chair of the european and british hernia society.  This op is not a walk in the park and it does take some recovering from, but I am 69 and skinny and I am recovering but it does take time, you have to be patient.  Hope you have a good surgeon, dont be scared as you will know from previous experience anaesthesia is so good nowadays not like when we were young and in general I have been cared for by some amazing people, most medical staff have been very kind and caring to me.  You have been through the wars but keep going and you will get there.  All the very best for your op and heres to a good recovery.  Shirley dancer
  • Posted

Gee, I thought I had it tough and I guess I do. They will not even operate on my hietial hernia. Maybe that'a a good thing??????

God bless and I will pray for to.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind thoughts.  Hey Shirley133 sounds like the in hospital bit wasn't too bad although a year on and still recoverying sounds an awful long time.

Not sure how major the abdominaplasty part was.  I don't have much choice when it comes to surgeons as there is only one hospital, although I seem to have the best General surgeon (only 3 of them are Consultants!).

A month today and maybe back in the ward without too many difficulties.  Will keep you update.

Thanks

Twinksy

• Posted

How you doing twinksy, hope your surgery went well, would be good to hear from you regards shirley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.