Why betablockers?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with overactive thyroid, however as i was borderline they are going to do my bloods again at end of the month! I am also b12 deficent and been vegaterian for over 30 years! I am 52 and on menopause also!

Because i was already taking 40gm of propranolol ( betablocker) doctor suggested i increase daily dose to 80gm a day! I know betablockers slow everything down, but why are they necessary for thyroid problems! 

I am always so tired, hot and sweaty, dizzy, dry mouth and depressed! I know my symptoms could be caused by any of my symtoms but i wish i knew what i could do to lesson symptoms!

I'd appreciate any advice!  

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear Welshgirl

Why were you already taking beta blockers?

I take one for Long qt.

Jean

• Posted

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and my GP prescribed propranolol to lower my heart rate. I remember my heart was beating very fast even while resting (around and in excess of 100 beats/minute) and it was difficult to get any sleep. Also my hands were very shaky.

Propranolol helped me during the first two weeks. After the thyroid lowering meds kicked in I felt better and stopped taking the propranolol.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply!

Can you remember how much propranolol you took each day?

• Posted

I had to take 40mg 3 times a day, so my daily dose was 120mg. But my GP mentioned 'as required'. In practice, I would measure my heart rate (occasionally) and reduce the dose if required.  
    • Posted

I do not know about your individual case but I take cardicor 1.25 mgms each day for Long q syndrome. My dr told me to measure my heart rate and if it was below 60 not to take the beta blocker. However you need to check what to do with your own doctor.

How do you know when and when not to take propranolol unless you check your heart rate reguarly?]

Jean

• Posted

If could feel my heart pounding, unable to calm down, the heart rate would be close to 120 bpm. Then I would take propranolol. While being hyper my heart rate hardly got below 90 anyway. The medication was more a means of keeping the heart from racing non-stop. 
  • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply!

Can you remember how much propranalol you took per day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.