It really really does get better.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am no way special but have gone down from 45g 10 weeks ago  to nothing.  I have felt no difference whatsoever on a lower dose of 15g or 7.5g or nothing.  I want to give hope to those thinking oh sh*t as I did.  If yo're ready, you're ready.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is a lovely post. I have gone up from 45 Mirtazapine to 135 Velafaxine in the last few months.I now feel that things are at last improving. I was told by my psychiatrist that as I am in my 770s Ibwould need to be on the meds for at least 2 years but so be it. The horror stories are aweful but perhaps people try to come off too soon. Maggie

• Posted

I agreee, a very 'hopeful' post, thank you Heather!! Yes plenty of horror stories, I agree that perhaps people expect too much too soon.  For myself ( having withdrawn 3 times now)  Don't try to rush it, there's plenty of time and the slower you go the easier it will be on your body.

I found that having a few Valium in the drawer was a comfort, just knowing they were there should I need them.  Rest whenever you  can, take little naps if and when you can, be kind to yourself, then when you feel strong enough go for it, you are much stronger than you think you are. Good luck my friends xxx

• Posted

Can I ask how you did this please. As in what doses did you take and for how long . 
  • Posted

How did you cut the tablets up to get the dossage. I want to do a 10% reduction each week. . But don't know how to cut the correct dosage up 
    • Posted

Hi. I have asked  but my doc won't prescribe it as too expensive 
    • Posted

Hi Jill

I know this thread is a few weeks old but you might still read this.

I too wondered how to measure out small weights accurately.

I thought I would try Ebay, and found lots of adverts for electronic scales which do it - and they are amazingly cheap!   Search for something like "mini scales" or "gold scales".

I reckon the best way would be crush a tablet and weigh out the powder.         

• Posted

Thanks I am only doing 10% reductions at moment and working with the 30mg and 15mg splits  but I am going to ask my doctor  or soluble ones . If not I will invest in some scales smile 
    • Posted

I have been thinking more about your problem.  I am not sure if the scales are accurate enough.  Some weigh in units of 0.01 gram which is 10mg.   That will be okay if the tablets weigh more than about 100mg. 

I do not know as I do not have an accurate scale.  Perhaps Googling might tell you.   Bear in mind that a "15mg" tablet contains 15mg of the drug; the tablet will be much heavier because it contains other things as well.

You would need to work out what fraction of a tablet you want then weigh the tablet and take that fraction of it. 

Eg if the tablet is a "15mg" tablet and it weighs 150mg.  To get 3mg of the drug you would need weigh out 30mg.

If the above suggestion does not appeal, you could do it my eye:  crush the tablet and divide it into equal parts then take some of those.    

Eg if the tablet is 500mg  (0.5 grams) you would weigh out 100mg (0.1 grams).   Some scales weigh in units of 0.01 grams (10mg) so that should work.  I am assuming that tablets weigh            

• Posted

As I don't have scales I've just been cutting  in half a 30 then half of a 15mg  then  a quarter  of a 15  so thought this would give me 26 and a bit ? To do a daily drop of  near enough to 27mg. Not good with working out these things 
    • Posted

If you have 30mg tablets the best thing is to drop in steps of 1/8 of a tablet as you can get that by repeatedly dividing in two.  1/8 tablet is 3.12mg. 

So to drop by one step you keep diving until you get two 1/8 pieces, then you swallow all except one of those.   The next time you not need to divide so far - you swallow all except on quarter.  You get the idea.

As a matter interest  I looked again on Ebay - and there are reasonably priced scales which can measure 0.001 gram  ie 1mg.  But you need to calculate the weight of tablet corresponding to 1mg of drug (as I explained before) .     

• Posted

Sorry there is a mistake there:   1/8 of a 30mg tablet contains 3.75mg of drug.
  • Posted

Thank you so much guys, Maggie, Jill, Valerie.  I was expecting such a slating but I didn't say in the end what I really wanted. to say.. I am absolutely no expert,  Will post!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.