Steroid injection for suspected RA - what to expect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello - I'm new on here and wondered if anyone could let me know what I should be expecting from the intramuscular steroid shot I got 2 days ago.  I've been going through all sorts of tests for RA over recent months.  Nothing has shown up on blood tests or ultrasound, but fingers, elbows, knees, wrists and feet continue to be stiff and painful... not always at the same time.  Rheumy says my symptoms do seem to indicate RA, but he's reluctant to put me on DMARDS yet, as no signs of swelling or inflammation.  So he gave me a steroid shot on Tuesday, saying it would help within 24-48 hours if there was any undetectable inflammation.  If it did help, he'd be happier to start DMARDS in a couple of months time.  

I think my joints are feeling better.  Certainly my feet weren't as excruciating to stand on when I first got out of bed.  But I do still feel some stiffness in my joints.  Less pain though.  Can anyone tell me if this likely to get even better over the next couple of days or is this likely to be the maximum improvement?  Of course I'm grateful for ANY improvement, but I'd been expecting to wake up today and feel 100% back to normal.  I guess I've a lot to learn!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi JW89;  I have Osteoarthrites, and have had many Steroid injections into many joints.......it has taken about 3 lots into each joint over a period of a few months (maybe a year), but can tell you that it is Well worth it, for I don't have any problems with my joints (the ones that have been injected.....fingers/toes/ankles/back muscles/ribs/wrists/knees and hips).......I know the pain of the injections lasts a few days, and to help this pain, I strap the injected site, with an elastic bandage/tape (depending on the area), for a few days and then all is good............I would suggest that you keep having the injections (my rhuemy said I coould  only have 3 injections at a time and then go back in 3 months for more.)....but this was over 3 years ago, and havn't had the need for more in those joints...............if your blood results are negative, then maybe you don't have Rhuematoid, but ??? Osteo, also we all say that our joints can be painful with Fibro, but I find my pain is more in the muscles/tendons with my fibro........so wondering, have you had these joints x-rayed?.............................Bron
    • Posted

Hi - thanks for your reply.  Steroid shot has definitely helped, as I can now get up from the sofa this morning without either having to push myself up on the armrest, and my knees don't compain as much.  My GP's initial suspicion is seronegative RA, hence no RF factor in tests.  It could be that I have some osteo going on too (my right knee does have a slight crunchy noise in it)... but no-one has mentioned Fibro yet.  I thought that affects muscles/tendons more... and back... which is probably one of the few jointed areas that's been OK.  I only had feet/hands scanned on ultrasound (no xrays), which didn't show any signs of inflammation... but I had that done after a minor hospital procedure the day before, for which I'd had a short GA, so I wonder whether they'd also given me some anti-inflammatories which affected ultrasound results.  How quickly did you find you got the maximum benefit from each of your steroid shots?  Did things continue to improve after 48 hours, or is this likely to be the best result I'm going to get for now?
    • Posted

Hi;  in aswer to your question, you should get bettter for a while, and then as I said above, it may need another couple of injections, into same sight, in a few months time, to completely get rid of the inflammation/pain, but after these, it should be clear of pain, as mine has.....to give you an example, this Winter is the First in many years that I have Not had to wear my Osteo Gloves for typing, as there has been no pain overall, just a Little in my L) pinky, which I treated with Arthrites Gel and some strapping for a couple of days, only...................as for the comment re Fibro, you are correct, it does only affect the muscles/tendons;  it's just that some say their joints are painful at times, but for me, NO.....it's my arthrites that affected my joints, and not now.........just other symtoms that go with Fibro...............Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.