Questions about Achiiles tendinopathy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've posted before and have been overwhelemed by how kind people are replying so quickly. I'm sorry to post again but I'm really stressed about my achilles.

It's been painful for about 5 months. Has a bump (not bvisible but you can feel it) and GP and physio think it's been caused by overpronation.. I have orthotics which don't really make a huge difference but I have been given eccentric calf raises on the stair to do.

My question is: When I come down slowly on the bad leg off the stair my leg starts to shake and ratchet. The uninjured one comes down smoothly. Is this because of the tendon weakness or because the muscle is weak. I'm geeting paranoid that I have something underlying that is causing the flat feet and tendon problems and before I start demanding a trip to the neurologist I wondered if this was normal?

I've looked on the net but there is no where that covers this. Also my knee has started to hurt and sometimes the achilles leg feels really odd and weak even though it's not ruptured - is this normal? Physio thinks I'm bonkers but I'm so freaked out by this I'd appreciate any input. I'm fine pushing up onth bad leg on toes but I'm starting to think by soleus is weak or that one of the leg muscles is degenerating. Also when I push forward on my bad knee as if to stretch it shakes a bit.

Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like you have the same as me, I have just had an operation on mine.. Not because of a rupture but a spur ( Haglands Deformity) on the back of my heel bone. This in turn causes aggravation to the achellies tendon.. Mine became quite large, quite quickly..I tried the physio, ultra sound, and injections. I suggest you look up Haglands Deformity, however yours might be just the start of calcification before turning to bone. Listen to your physio and follow the exercises you might be able to fix this without it getting bad enough to do surgery.. Believe me surgery is a long healing process and not a quick option..  
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply! I hope your op has gone OK

So before you had the operation did you find that the affected leg felt weaker in certain positions? For example as described above? I'm sorry to ask it's just it's giving me massive anxiety.

Thanks

• Posted

HI

What were your sugns and symptoms? How did it all start?

Who made the diagnosis and how.

I am going out of my mind with these sensations and thetightness, stiffness and pqain in my feet, ankles and knees.

Jean

• Posted

Yes my foot was very weak, standing on tip toe near impossible, my ankle shook all over the place making my whole leg wobble..
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply - its just such a horrible feeling!!! x

• Posted

Yes it is, the important thing is you speak to your consultant or physio about these and you do all the exercises to make your ankles and calves stronger .. 
  • Posted

I am 3 months post rupture. I'm having the same problem doing the stair excercise still. Weakness in calf and ankle, but lots of pain on the inside of the ankle when I do these. Kind of like knife sticking into the ankle. I've built myself a wobble board to help with this. The wobble board certainly helped me navigate stairs a little more normally after only a couple of days. Hopefully it'll help strengthen my ankle as well.
    • Posted

Wobble board is a good idea! I am going to see if I can get one. How did you make one?

I hope your recovery makes good progress and thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Dear TLM

What is the wobble board used for?

Jean

• Posted

Dear TLM

Do your ankles swell or feel as though they are?

jean

• Posted

The wobble board is used , in un-scientific terms, to teach your body where your foot is. Your brain shuts off signals from the injury so it doesn't get overloaded. We need to get these pathways going again. And it also stretches everything out as you use it. I'm amazed that I can go down stairs now almost pain free after only a couple of days use.

As for the swelling, yes. My right leg and ankle are quite swollen. Some days more than others but always swollen.

I put a link to a DIY wobble board on you tube, but my previous post has to moderated because of the link. Very easy to make however.

On a lighter note, I may be able to go back to work next week.

• Posted

Dear timinbic

I am aslightly confused here. I thought that it was TLM who was enquiring about the wobble board.

Jean

• Posted

Dear TLM

Do you go under the name of timinbic?

Are you using this wobbleboard?

Jean

• Posted

I apologize for  confusion. My first respnse to TLM was deleted becuase I included a link to youtube. I just tacked the wobble board stuff into my responses to you
    • Posted

Hi Timinbic

No problem. Apparently the cyclosporins can cause tendinopathy.

These are antibiotics.

The eye drops can cause burning .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.