Painful IBS symptoms - what helps?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I'm new to this group. Ijoined in desperation and have started reading through some of the discussions which are very interesting. I've had IBS for about 12 years now to varying degrees and have never really got to the bottom of what foods I should cut out. I've got a FODMAP book and will be trying that next. My main symptom is painful stomach (intestine) cramps which keep me awake during the night. What I would like to know is, when experiencing IBS symptoms, other than restricting food groups etc, what receives the symptoms best? Thank you.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Elaine

I am curious about how you learnewd about the FODMAP diet.

I would like to know how you heard about it.

If you have been to a doctor and mentioned ibs in the last 3 years then your doctor should have recommended the diet.

If he didnt I would be interested to know why not.   There seem to be a large number of people in this forum who have been seeing a doctor regularly but the doctor doesnt choose to tell them about a breakthrough approach to relieving their symptoms and hugely improving their life.

What I am wondering is if there is some division among experts in the medical community about whether or not  theFODMAP DIET is effective.

Last time I read about research the proponents of the diet were claiming he lives of 70% of ibs people were significantly improved by the diet.

So I am wondering if there is an evidence based arguement that suggests this is wrong?    OR is there some side effect of the diet that makes it better for patients to conyinue with their sympyoms and n

• Posted

Dear Elaine

I am curious about how you learnewd about the FODMAP diet.

I would like to know how you heard about it.

If you have been to a doctor and mentioned ibs in the last 3 years then your doctor should have recommended the diet.

If he didnt I would be interested to know why not.   There seem to be a large number of people in this forum who have been seeing a doctor regularly but the doctor doesnt choose to tell them about a breakthrough approach to relieving their symptoms and hugely improving their life.

What I am wondering is if there is some division among experts in the medical community about whether or not  theFODMAP DIET is effective.

Last time I read about research the proponents of the diet were claiming he lives of 70% of ibs people were significantly improved by the diet.

So I am wondering if there is an evidence based arguement that suggests this is wrong?    OR is there some side effect of the diet that makes it better for patients to continue with their symptoms and not try the diet?

I am on ther FODMAP diet for reasons other than ibs and it has helped me when nothing else would but are there any contraindications?

• Posted

Hi graham9772, I've replied to your message below. Regards.

• Posted

Hi Graham

I found out about the FODMAP diet by googling it after my sister mentioned it and then bought a book from Amazon. I have been going to the Doctor and he has never mentioned anything about it. He has offered Buscapan and various remedies for constipation. I mentioned FODMAP to the Doctor, however he didn't appear to know anything about it. I also mentioned the possibility of a dietician to help me, however I left with the same old same old which is rather sole destroying. Is there maybe more awareness of it in America? I'm not sure where you're from. I'm in Scotland.

• Posted

What's your diet like?

Have you been tested via NHS (blood and urine)?

Have you had any cameras and biopsies taken?

Have you got any known allergies or has anyone else in your family got stomach problems?

• Posted

Hi ned7744, I have responded to your message below. Regards.
  • Posted

My main symptom is also stomach pain and I find exercise, less stress if possible and fruit to reduce constipation works for me.  Food doesn't affect me.  It was my stomach pain along with nausea that got me running to the doctor when otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.   At that time I had four different types of pain and had trouble sleeping during the first two weeks of my symptoms.

My pain is barely noticeable now and I have reduced Buscopan and over the counter painkillers to a minimum.  Intitially, I was on three antispasmodics a day and occasionally I took four and topped it up with painkillers.

• Posted

Hi, thanks your reply. I've responded for your message below. Still getting used to this website :-)
  • Posted

Hi Ned7744, With regard to my diet, I've tried a exclusion diet before but didn't really get to the bottom of what was causing my symptoms. When I have a bad flare up, I don't eat gluten, I avoid wine and anything acidic, spicey food etc. I've got books to help me on the straight and narrow, but find there can be so much contradictory information. I mainly eat fish, chicken, veg, salad and things like that and try to drink plenty of water. I had all the tests years ago which identified that every part of my intestines were going into a spasm when they were touched so were very sensitive, hence the diagnosis of IBS. There isn't any history of stomach problems in my family.

Hi philippa61759, Great to hear that your symptoms have improved. I do have a lot of stress and when my symptoms get more severe I tend to think it's to do with the food I eat, however, it's more likely to be a mixture of both, or maybe like you, just the stress. I read somebody else's post on here saying to eat smaller meals and will try that i.e. eat a little often rather than a larger meal at night which might help my pain during the night. I'm definitely going to try your approach with fruit and exercise and try to be less stressed, which exercise should also help with. Thanks a lot for your help.

• Posted

As Bill Clinton said; I feel your pain. There are nights I don't and cannot go to sledep untill 3 am. What a life!. My bowl habits change almost ever other night. Sometimes it just a cannon, if you know what I mean. Pray for me and I will pray for you Elaine
    • Posted

That's a deal David. I tend to get to sleep but get woken up during the night in pain and can't get back to sleep because of it. I do try doping myself up with Buscapan, Ibuprofen and herbal sleeping tablets (and sometimes paracetamol too) but no joy. I'm going to try the FODMAP diet and follow it carefully to identify the issue once and for all. Wishing you well David.
    • Posted

Great to hear from you. Let's keep in touch, buddy. I will be praying for you and wishing you beautiful sleep.  I hate taking strong pain meds, but decided I will on Sat. night  for rest ...for church on Sunday. Kinda Ironic sounding huh.....drug for Church.rolleyes.
    • Posted

Sometimes you just need to do that to get by. I tend to do that on a Monday night before my working week. Needs must as long as it's not every night. Here's to a good night's sleep!  
  • Posted

Hi Elaine

I am in Australia.   The Monash univeresity here developed to FODMAP diet.

I recomend you to visit their website.   I follow the diet very carefully and there are many fruit and veg not allowed.    If they allow a small quantity I avoid it.

Your doctor should do his home work.   Try and find a special ibs clinic near you and ask them for help.   A dietician will be a big help, especially when you start trying to re introduce foods.

I hope it works for you

Graham

• Posted

I will definitely have a look at that website and look into IBS clinics. Something needs to change to get this sorted as it's gone on for far too long and those areas sound like a great place to start. Thanks a lot Graham!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.