Im worried

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello i had bunion surgery 5 weeks ago i need to start walking.. But everytime i try to walk my foot turns a funny color and it really hurts is this normal?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Probably just black and blue and the flow of blood, from the surgery, what kind of surgery, are you wearing aan ace bandage and a cam boot?? If its painful I wouldnt put full weight on the foot just as yet,
    • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me i had osteotomy surgery and no haven't got bandage on just a special boot.. I'm seeing my doctor for my 5/6 week check up and i think he will ask me to walk on it and I'm just worried just incase their is something wrong with my foot. Also I don't no weather to keep my leg elevated at night as I can't sleep.
    • Posted

Keep leg elevated as much as possible, I had surgery 7 weeks, ago I just started walking 2 days, ago with boot on, and right now I am elevating, because it gets very swollen, but its, weight bearing as tolerable, so you also have to elevate alot, I have an ace bandage on at all times, elevate at night also, this is going to take alot of time, the foot nerves, tendons, are acting up remember you have not been weight bearing, and this takes time,
    • Posted

Are you in physical therapy and doing exercises, that is really important, if not ask your doctor for prescription for physical therapy,
    • Posted

Dont worry doctor will know if theirs something wrong with your foot, and he is also going to take a xray,
    • Posted

Same my foot gets very swollen doctor said i need to walk around with the boot on as much as i can but it gets very hard sad
    • Posted

No I'm not in physical therapy, but i do try and move my toes time to time especially my big toe.. Also the surgeon didn't mention anything about physical therapy so I didn't really know.
    • Posted

Well on my 2 weeks post op went in to have my bandage removed surgeon said wound healing well but after 2days having my bandage removed i was in agony went to my GP they said i got an infection so had a xray done and everything but luckily everything came back normal.. Are you in pain because i am i thought it will get better as i am nearly 6 weeks post op pluse i need to get back to work!
    • Posted

I am going through the same thing I walk around and then it gets swollen and painful, just walk as much as, tolerable, then elevate, I use ice, sometimes I take a break and walk with the knee scooter, sometimes you need a break, I am also going back to work, but I will elevate at the job I know you were probably told you will be better in 6 weeks, but truth is it will hurt and you need to elevate and ice. It takes a year totally, I hope you dont stand yo much at work, my friend had this surgery also she uses compression stockings, by sigvaris 15 to 20 mm, ask your doctor about them, and akso ask him fir prescription for physical therapy, they will help you exercise correctly and graduate you to more exercises, its very helpful so be strong about it when you ask your doctor fir a prescription,
    • Posted

Dont try to walk to you are exactly 6 weeks and use crutches you should only walk 25% from 6 to 7 week then graduate as tolerable,
    • Posted

Thanks alot i feel better talking to you.. After i have been to see my surgeon I'm gna go to my GP and ask for physical therapy .
    • Posted

Actually your surgeon can give you prescription for PT, hope it goes well, bring all your questions,
    • Posted

Hey i been to see the surgeon he took an xray said everything was fine also he said I could try and wear normal shoes but the thing is nothing fit me as my foot is always swollen also i can only wear slippers do you have the same problem? Tried walking but it's too painful i limp moat of the time also my big toe is quite numb isit normal? Plus i start work soon don't know how im going to get on I'm getting depressed wish i never had it done!
    • Posted

I know how you feel, it is a huge surgery and takes a lot of time to heal, I am glad X-ray came out good, I am 8 weeks post op and still in the boot in a week and a half I go sneaker shopping and I am really scared also, I was told an athletic sneaker with cushion, I guess we have to get wide width, my friend did the surgery and she got men's wide width I was told new balance sneakers, if it really hurts maybe you should wean off the boot and go intosneaker something with support,  are you going to pt, i am going to physical Therapy and it's helping, now I'm working on getting my leg stronger, because we suffer atrophy from being non weight bearing,  can't stress how important physical therapy is, I am starting to feel my legs getting stronger, yes it's normal but try and n

manipulate it down stretching for 30 second then up, 5x, 3x a day, I know it's a lot of work but we have to do it, and also the rest of the toes,  hang in there, keep doing exercises you can also u tube exercises after bunion surgery, hope this is helpful, hang in there, wink

• Posted

Well atleast now i know it's normal! My surgeon didn't mention anything about physical therapy do you think i should go to my GP? My foot does feel tight time to time which is really annoying.. Thanks i will youtube some exercise! I just didn't think that kind of surgery will be that painful! Is my foot ever going to go normal again argh so annoyed sad
    • Posted

Can't you tell your surgeon since you just saw him to fax or mail you over a prescription, the pt will massage help you with exercises, which aid in healing and they know how to manipulate your foot, find a good physical therapist, and have surgeon fax over prescription, if should automatically give you prescription but just call and leave a message with a fax # to send prescription for pt it's really his job not the Gp, but if he gives you a problem get it from GP you should of started pt oready, don't forget elevate and ice, keep me posted😉😉
    • Posted

I read a lot of post because that is my same question when is it going to be normal again? Some say 6-7 months it's a process but hang in there, we have to be patient and trust it's gonna be worth it in the end, praying for you😇
    • Posted

Hey isit me or do you get like a prickly sensation when you put your foot down?especially the big toe cause i do it's like a really wierd sensation! And my scar is quite sensitive too..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.