Near fainting episode? Never happened before, unsure of cause

Posted , 3 users are following.

I arrived in New York from England after an 8 hour flight last night. Today I went out with my family to a market, it wasn't overly hot but it was warm. I remember feeling sick and nauseated, I dry heaved a few times then began to feel completely disorientated.

My vision was affected and it felt as if I had just woken up and my eyes weren't adjusting to the light. I was unresponsive and drifting in and out of consciousness whilst family members were calling my name. There were members of the public that were standing nearby and offered a cold drink. I was walked to a nearby toilet to sit for a few minutes. I did experience diarrhoea but I'm unsure as to whether this had anything to do with my near fainting experience.

This has never happened to me before so I'm puzzled as to what the cause could be. Just to mention, I was also on my period in case that might give an explanation. I want to know any possible causes or reasons this might've happened and whether or not I should see a doctor about it.

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It could just be the long haul flight and going out immediately. If you are double jointed that may be the cause. Try not to worry but I would see your GP upon return to UK! If it's was as you say warm and perhaps you were dehydrated and as it was your period time that too could be the cause. It might be just jet lag and excitement. Try to enjoy your holiday and keep hydrated, eat regular healthy food and see your GP upon your return. It might be worth asking him to check your BP you might have POTS
  • Posted

I'm not sure you had what I experience as a fainting spell, but if so, flying can exacerbate it. My mother, grandmother and I all get them, and we are all (coincidentally or not) double-jointed. I have a 7/9 on the Beighton Score. More water, more salt, more calf muscle exercises (especially when flying), and try compression stockings. Works for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.