What comes next after Lapidus?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all,

I had Lapidus completed 19 days ago and am doing well. I had the big Jones splint and at 7 days was moved into a hard cast. This Friday I'll have my 21 day post op. I know I'll have XRays and if my foot is doing well I can move into the dreaded shoe. Does PT start once you move to the shoe? How long have others been in the shoe before weight bearing and then ultimately walking? Thanks for your insight in advance!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to add I only had one foot completed, my right foot because it was worse than my left.
    • Posted

Kaliana

I had both done together, fully weight bearing and walking at the 6 weeks mark, or as soon as the darco's came off. I was referred for PT at 9 weeks, but, as my surgeon was a bit on the dippy side, i didn't start until 11 weeks. even at that late stage i was walking 5 miles at 16 weeks.

as it takes a minimum of 6 weeks for the bones to set, you shouldn't fully weight bear until then

Caroline

• Posted

Caroline,

Thank you so much for your post and information. I'm glad you're able to walk and are doing so well! Best!

• Posted

Kaliana

its all down to how bloody minded and determined you are. I might have pushed myself a bit too much, but I was expected back to work at 6 weeks (managed 7) phased return, 3 days a week, and I hate being dependant on others. 

To say the least I am a tough old bird.

its very early days for you, 19 days is nothing compared to how long it will take, it will get better day by day, but it will seem month by month.

just enjoy the time to yourself, it will soon be gone.

caroline x

• Posted

Caroline,

Thank you for more sound advice. It's appreciated. Happy healing!

• Posted

Hi everyone! I had my 21 post-op today. I'm so happy to report that I got my hard cast off today. My surgeon said my foot looks really pretty. No one has ever said that about my foot! It made my whole day. He cut some of the dissolvable stitches and replaced my steri strips. X-Rays looked great and fusion has started. I now wear a short boot and a darco aka velco shoe. I'll partially weight bare for about a week and then I can get rid of the crutches! I can start driving next week too. I need to wear the boot when moving around. I'll wear the darco at night and when I'm lounging.

Even better is he's letting me get my left bunion done earlier than expected mid November. This is important because I had met my $5,000 insurance deductible earlier this year, so again my insurance company will be paying 100% of this bunionectomy too! I'll by need Lapidus for my left due to the bunion size and my super hypermobility. By the end of November I can finally say I don't have bunions anymore. I start PT next week. I just touched my foot and it feels anaxing to not have a huge bunion there anymore. The only gross thing is the big black blister I have from the cast. When the swelling went down my cast started shifting a lot which caused the top of my foot to rub on it and cause the blister. Could be worse, so I'm happy.

• Posted

Yeeee ha, well done you!

youll find that you'll finish with the crutches quite soon now, expect for poking at things, and you'll wobble around quite happily. 

I didn't wear the darco's when I was sitting around, or in bed, just put them on to walk around. You'll feel more comfortable that way.

If you can start massaging your foot (don't leave the other one out.) do so.

well done you!

caroline

xxx

• Posted

Thank you! I'm so excited. I don't know how to post pics on this site but I have a normal foot now! I'll continue to follow your advice. I'm excited to massage it after 21 days locked inside a splint and then a hard cast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.