gluten free and on orlistat

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just been prescribed orlistat completely out of the blue by my GP... And I'm also gluten free as I have a very high intolerance now. So its quite difficult planning meals but think I'm doing ok!

My breakfasts and lunches seem to be between 5 and 10g fat then main meals are nearer to 15g. Is this ok?

What if I want a skinny latte outside of meal times, these work out at 2.2g fat... would that make me poorly?

Also am I able to drink wine? I appreciate the calorific issues with wine but I'd still like to enjoy a few glasses on the weekends, I'm more concerned about an orange explosion if I do?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Gluten free and low fat is hard to combine, just make sure you don't go over the 15g fat per meal and you shouldn't have any side effects. You'll probably you'll lose wight quite quickly! I still have latte's and kind of include the fat content with my lunch or breakfast, but I've not found one at 2.2g fat, Costa and Nero are around 0.1g - 0.5g fat so check before you buy one. Wine also should not give you any side effects, just the calories of course!!!  And at least wine is gluten free also!!! Good luck X
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply!

I looked up Costa on My Fitness Pal and it had skinny latte and soya latte as anywhere between 1.5 and 2.2... So if I have one of these between a meal I should still be ok? And not have an orange disaster?! Lol.

Only started on Tuesday but am really hoping this works. Am trying to keep under 1500 calories and exercising 4 times a week.

• Posted

Hi there, I swapped from

Frothy coffees to black only, I have a splash of milk if I drink tea though. I don't know about gluten so can't comment. I have been in the tablets about 5 months now and I know exactly what to eat and what not to. I try my best not to go too much over the 5g of fat mark, and if in having a treat like a burger or curry, I don't take a tablet, although, you still have to be careful as they seem to work hours after taking them lol. The tablets are for fat only, drinking wine or beer won't hurt, but you will take the calories in. I use fitness pal and have accupedo linked to it, counts yr steps and adjust your calories to the walking you do daily. Hope some of this helps.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply.

A very odd thing happened last night, I went out and drank too much wine and ended up eating a takeaway of chicken meat and chips with mayo at about midnight. Now I didn't take a tablet as I had had all 3 for that day but was fully expecting some sort of reaction and there was nothing?

Also I'm fully aware that this is a really bad start to my journey and I'm not going to let that happen again.

I love My Fitness Pal and have it linked to my Fitbit.

I've been eating pretty healthily for years but all the foods I eat are high in fat so things like coconut oil, nuts, organic peanut butter etc. So this is a big change for me!

• Posted

Hey there,

I suppose everybody is different, if I had done that all hell would have broken loose within an hour lol. The tablets do work, and don't take it for granted that you might get away with it another time hehe.

Yeah I pretty much liked all that stuff, but as I was so determined to lose weight, I changed my eating habits totally, I lost 10lb in 5 weeks, got another weigh in next week. Will let you know how it goes.

• Posted

I've been very very lucky then!!!! Not taken the tablets today, just in case as had to work all day. I will NOT be making that mistake again!

Yes be very interested to hear about next weigh in shepster.

Wendywool enjoy your curry!

• Posted

I was going to say yesterday be careful when you drink wine because you might end up eating something you shouldn't! If you've got away with it then great, but just be careful incase it's a delayed reaction! Saying that, I'm out for a curry tonight oops! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.