After lapidus surgery getting into a sneaker

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had lapidus surgery and also hammer toe, my foot is still very swollen, and my 2 toe due to hammer toe surgery, next week I have to go from cam boot to sneaker and I am very scared first reason is because it is so swollen and tender, 2nd reason is because the cam boot protect and the foot especially the front of the foot is not touching the ground, and this will be the first time it's actually touching the ground,and enclosed, any body wanna share their experiences, such as type of shoe or sneaker and their experience after taking those first steps? Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

IT is scary Mary but possible for you I hope.  I opened up my trainers laces quite wide and gently eased my foot in.  I  did not have to buy any special ones just my usual Nike air type with good support underfoot.  They should support your foot away from the ground.  Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Mary. I too went into a trainer with the laces as far apart as possible. I also-bought a pair of Skechers go walk slip ons in one size larger than my normal size. They are soooo comfortable. They don,t trouble my scar area at all.

Don,t be scared it's one step nearer to recovery😀xx

• Posted

Hi Mary 

i wore walking sandles with flight compression socks for the first couple of weeks, I looked like a salami in bondage.

i wore, am

nd am still wearing my old walking boots as they give very good ankle support, although the I refuse to get them revealed as they've been on their way out for the past year.

i have a pair of sketchers lace ups, normal size, which I wear, and I did start off with my husbands Birkenstock s, around the house.

i found that the more I walked, the less swelling I got, especially followed by a cold foot bath.

you'll not look pretty at this stage, but you'll get through it pretty quickly.

It's the start of the road to full recovery.

caroline xx

• Posted

Even though. Haven't started walking. Bought a pair of new balance I had to get men's wide width that's how swollen my foot is, I will start walking in Pt Friday, thanks for everyone's Input and encouragement will keep you posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.