How long will these side effects last ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've recently started taking 5mg amlodipine daily to help reduce my blood pressure. I was previously on bisoprolol [3 years +] & losartan [6 weeks ... couldn't get on with it !] so my cardiologist has started me on amlodipine [to try something new] I've only been on it 3 days but I'm still dizzy [as before] I'm like a zombie first thing in the morning & I now have a morning cough & muscle pains in my chest/shoulders ...... my breathing is also a little tight.

Has anybody experienced similar symptoms ...... please tell me they are temporary as I'm probably running out of things to try !!! ... I should add that I'm also on warfarin [metallic aortic valve + pacemaker] & simvastatin

Thanks everybody

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Exhogg, I had dizzy, muscle pain, and fatigue just to mention a few side effects while I was on Amlodipine for over four years. The Side effects do not go away you only develope more. Go back and see this discussion from the start and search other discussions on Amlodipine on this site to hear about the problems this drug can cause. Good health to you
    • Posted

OK thanks Carol. looks like i'm in for a rocky ride !!

Has anybody found a blood pressure lowering drug that DOESN'T cause side effects ....... I'm guessing probably not ?

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Exhogg, I am still trying to find the best blood pressure medication with the side effects I can tolerate.  Good health to you
  • Posted

Hi Exhogg. I had awful symptoms with Amlodipine, swollen legs and ankles, pains in my legs etc. I had also been trying various drugs which also caused me problems. I am now on Losartan which I am pleased to say is fine. I also take Grapeseed extract which is proven to help with lowering blood pressure. I take it alongside Losarton and it keeps my BP at a really good level. Go back to your GP or Cardiologist and ask for something else. Amlodipine is not a good drug and can cause all sorts of problems. I agree with Carol, look back through the discussions and you will be shocked. Don't give up until you have found something your body tolerates.
    • Posted

Thanks nannylynn I appreciate you getting back to me on this. I've now been on 5mg for a week & if anything the symptoms are getting worse ........ especially the headaches & the dizziness, every time I move my head it spins [not literally !] & the pain intensifies. My wife & I are due to go to Jersey for our 40th wedding anniversary tomorrow & my cardiologist has agreed for me to come off the amlodipine for the next week & then review when I get back. Trouble is I think I'm running out of BP lowering options ..... tried bisoprolol & losartan as well as ramipril, so getting a little concerned. I have to say although it's only been a week amlodipine seems to be the worst of the lot ...... I'm even thinking of going back on the beta blocker [bisoprolol] & I never thought I would do that !!!

Thanks again

• Posted

Do try Grapeseed extract, they do help to loweer BP.

I am on Losartan and fortunately they seem to be fine + the Grapeseed. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.