Have you had a fundoplication operation for hiatus hernia?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with a rolling hiatus hernia and have had lots of problems with food sticking, feeling sick after eating, occasional pain - despite taking medication. I have now been offered the above operation but after reading the possible side effects, I am not convinced that I should proceed. Has anyone had this op done and if so, how did it go? Thank you for your help.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have today just got an appointment for a pre op assessment.  Like you I have had symptoms for years, at the beginning projectile vomiting but now terrible wind pain in stomach and across my shoulders.  I don't enjoy food except for puddings and cakes !eating high calorie comfort food so not losing weight.  I too am apprehensive about the operation but was told as I have a 9cm hernia stuck in my chest it is not going to get better only worse,

i am having the op as I am worried about the chance of strangulation and I have been anaemic . I also would like to enjoy going out for meals.

it has taken me the past two and a half years to get to a surgeon as I was told by a professor I had an ordinary hiatus hernia !!

i have had this for about 15 years in all so looking forward to getting it fixed and really hoping it is keyhole.

there are some success stories so I am hoping for a good result, hope the same for you

• Posted

I had the fundoplication 7 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did.

Unfortunately, due to a bout of norovirus and 5 hours of violent retching a couple of years ago, it came loose so I had Collis-Nisssen revisiom surgery last year.

Fundoplication surgery has been carried out for 60 years, the last 20 of which laparoscopically (ie keyhole).

A recent report followed up nealy 200 patinets who had laparoscopic fundoplication 20 years ago. 94% were satisfied even though it had failed in 18% of cases, though techniques have improved and it's estimated failure rate is only 5% now.

As to side effects, 85% report difficulty burping or vomitting directly after the operation but this resolves itself when the scar tissue heals within a couple of weeks.

• Posted

Yes Jill, I've had this operation and yes it is important for you to have it. Your hernia is not a sliding hiatus hernia. Your stomach can twist when it above the diaphragm and cut off blood flow to the lower organs. This doesn't happen with a sliding hernia. If that happens they have to do emergency surgery and I was told my changes would be 50/50 of surviving the operation at that point. My symptoms were more severe than yours so I was at a greater risk of that happening . The operation is done laprosopically unless complications arise and that is very rare. I didn't have any real pain where they had made five slits in my abdomen. They do fill the abdomen with gas to make it easier to work in that confined space and you will get shoulder pain after from the gas migrating up there. You will be on a very restricted diet for many weeks following the operation while the area around the gastro esophageal junction heals. I hate a lot of pudding, canned peaches, pears and yogurt. I am so much healthier now and the fear of losing my life from the hernia is gone. I had Laotian 20 pounds because I didn't feel hungry. I can travel again. I was burping all the time before and wasn't comfortable sitting. I had had very sharp pains that scared me. I hope this answers some questions for you.

Judy

• Posted

Judy, you might be the one to ask about me going ahead with a Heital Hernia opperation. I had the motility test and saw the surgeon several times and he refuses to processed if if I do need surgery because of a birth opperation to fix a malerotated stomach....upside down stomach. and said it would be too risky and I might not make it trough. I am so tired of symptoms of this hernia. I feel like I am in a prision and just waiting for things to get worse....and then he would operate???

It hard to swallow pills..naeusa after I eat, cough too much, can't sleep until I fall in to bed about 3am,....dry raw nose, throat feels full, most food causes chest discomfort etc. You get the picture. What do I do?

What do you think might be my chances of a sucsessful surgery?

• Posted

Hi Jill,

I had a 270 degree fundoplication done back in March. I had a sliding hiatus hernia - so not as serious as yours - but I have not looked back. The worse pain is the shoulder pain post-op. The diet for me was not as restricted as the full 360 degree (I went straight to sloppy foods) - and as of now eveything has settled down - no meds, no pain and I have a life again.!

• Posted

Glad to hear your positive experience. I am due to have the op and have no idea of what degree, but I will now be asking! 
  • Posted

Yes Jill and it was the best thing I cud of dun . 21 yrs ago with not one problem since. But with age, weight, I guess hernia slipped. I have experienced EVERY thing posted here. But also had internal bleeding for 2 yrs, requiring several bld transfusions and no Dr cud find where the bleed was from. Several stays in hospital due to being very sick. Each time, my fiance wud tell Drs to check my hernia. Each time, same response , " no , it's not that" after 2 yrs, I went to different hospital, different Dr., who performed a test that had been dun, but if found where bleed was coming from. But I had to return to other hospital. Well , PLEASE LISTEN, EVERYONE, I was referred to a thoracic surgeon, and had one of the biggest surgeries out there. Left me with HUGE scar, VERY SEVERE nerve damage, which has me newish chronic pain daily. and then I find out it was not the surgery needed. Dr did me very wrong. The hernia got so big, it moved many of my organs, including my heart , which Dr said was reason for my rapid heart rate and loss of breath. And now, 2 yrs later, the bleeding returned, as well as a hernia much larger than b4. And so painful, I'm in tears. So I'm back to do it all over but different Dr. Which is wat I was doing wen I found this site. Looking for a Dr.
  • Posted

Yes, 21 yrs ago i had a nissin fundoplication and it was the best thing I'd ever done. Up until 3-4 yrs ago, i never experienced the acid reflex or anything else. But after 21yrs, 2yrs ago it slipped and i had thoracic surgery, which i recently found out was not the surgery i shuda had. But of this is wat dr recommending, i was very pleased. I got a very bad dr 2 yrs ago, so i plead with everyone here that b4 u agree on any surgery, check the dr out thoroly. Please.
  • Posted

Yes, 21 yrs ago i had a nissin fundoplication and it was the best thing I'd ever done. Up until 3-4 yrs ago, i never experienced the acid reflex or anything else. But after 21yrs, 2yrs ago it slipped and i had thoracic surgery, which i recently found out was not the surgery i shuda had. But of this is wat dr recommending, i was very pleased. I got a very bad dr 2 yrs ago, so i plead with everyone here that b4 u agree on any surgery, check the dr out thoroly. Please.
  • Posted

I really feel for everyone who have posted on here.  I have had all these symptoms and often felt very scared of pains that no one seemed to understand. My hernia was so bad that the whole of my stomach ended up in my chest cavity. It was twisted twice and attached to my heart and lungs. I had no choice; an operation was my only option. I too had read all the bad stories but I had a really good surgeon who pulled my stomach down fixed my hernia with a Nissan fundoplication and repaired my diaphragm.  The only advice I would give is make sure you have a really experienced surgeon who is confident with coping with the problems that might arise. you have to have faith. If you have no option, or your symptoms are ruining your life - find a good surgeon.  Good luck to those of you waiting for an operation.  Get in touch if you have any questions. There are happy endings out there. 
  • Posted

Hi Jill,

Wondered how you are getting on? I am meeting a consultant in a couple of weeks time and have a hernia but doesn't give me any grief normally. I keep pretty fit and healthy, but doctor and I feel it is best sorting the hernia out now while i am still young. Ha ha! 58 young. I suspect from the description it is a rolling hiatus hernia but guess I will find out when I have the consultation. Never been under before. Any tips?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.