Gastroc release w/plantar release-both legs at once

Posted , 8 users are following.

After suffering from severe plantar faciatis I am have a gastroc release w/ plantar relase on friday.  Both Legs at once. I have done everything I can to combat this pain.  Stretching,  custom insoles, over the counther insoles, cortison injections, night splints, anti inflamatory diet, Acupuncture, and physical therapy. Nothing has helped and I am in more pain than ever.  The pain in constant and stabing, day and night. 

Has any one done the Gastroc release w/the plantar release and has anyone specifically had it on both legs at once?  Can you tell me what to expect recovery wise.  I was told that I'd been in a wheel chair for 4 weeks.

Thank you for your input.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I haven't had this procedure but had op on my left foot to correct plantar faciatis and two other problems I have last year.  You are very brave to have both feet done at once.  Good luck Jay.  Getting around will be extremely hard for you.  Will you be at home and have you got someone to care for you?  I found just one foot hard as I was in a non weight bearing cast and could not manage stairs.  I was lucky that my hubby was able to care for me.  I am waiting for the second foot to be done so I understand your concern.    I wish you well.
    • Posted

I only have my 18yr old daughter that lives with me. At this point, both feet are so bad that I couldn't even pick which one to start with and would still be in pain with both having one done. My surgeon agrees that in my case it's best to bite the bullet and do them both at once. I also don't have the time and disability to be off work. My goal is to go back to work in a wheelchair at 2 weeks. I'm getting mixed input on how difficult the recovery is. That's why I'm trying to find someone that had them both done at once. It's scary, but at the same time, I can't imagine draging it out doing one at a time and having a 3-5 month recovery. It will be interesting.
    • Posted

Good luck pet.  I hope all goes to plan and you have a good outcome.  I also hope you daughter helps you a lot.  I can't imagine coping without being able to walk at all.  Even going to the loo will be challenging for you.  I wish you the very best.
  • Posted

Wow...bless your heart jay8888! I'm so sorry that you are in sooo much pain and having to do this. I have to be honest with you...I have only heard that surgery does not work. However, you could be the exception and I hope you are. It is a painful recovery so make sure you have pain medication and anything to make your time easier. Please keep us posted...

Ladyjack51

• Posted

I'll be curious how this works , since I've still got mine in one foot

Please keep us posted on results

• Posted

I've done a lot of research and I've seen that most have a very positive outcome. I just don't see anyone doing them together though. Thank you for all the well wishes. Jay jay
  • Posted

2 days post opp.. I'm hanging in there. It is painful, but managable. Going to the restroom is challenging, but I think I've got it down. And feel less and less like I'm going to fall everytime. Today I'm going to try to stop the percocet because it gives me an awful headache and constant nausea. I think I can manage the pain with ice ibuprofen and tylenol.

Jay jay

• Posted

Hi Jay8888,

Please get your rest and take those dang percocet! It's brave and admirable to try not to take them but that's what they're there for. You can't recover well if you're in pain. But you know yourself better than I do that's for sure. When you're feeling better be sure and let me know exactly what they did. I'm sure it will help someone here that has the same issues you had. Prayers for a fast and healing recovery!Ladyjack51

• Posted

Pretty brave to do that

I hope it works and you will be up and running again

As far as pain management that's up to you what feels right .You might try eating when taking pain pills

That might cut down on the nausea

Good luck

• Posted

Glad to hear you are through the op.  I hope you can sort out your pain management.  I found codeine and paracetamol was best for me, but I reduced the dose of codeine as soon as I felt able to cope as it is addictive.  You need to be pain free as much as poss though.  I hope the op works for you.  Everyone will be wishing you well I am sure. x
  • Posted

Did you have this done yet??
    • Posted

sorry I see you did....how are you doing?
  • Posted

Hi Jay really would be good to hear how you are getting on now
  • Posted

Did you do this? I have this surgery planned for Friday. If you had to do it again would you do 1 leg at a time?
    • Posted

Hi Dennis,

I'm no doctor but before you go the surgery route have you asked about all of the other non-invasive alternatives available to you?  Specifically, EPAT (Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology) sometimes referred to as Shockwave Therapy (ESWT).  I'd recommend asking a doctor if this could be an alternative for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for asking. Surgery is tomorrow . Decided to just do 1 side.
    • Posted

That makes sense. I am recovering from a foot reconstruction on 1St May. Getting my cast off on Friday and then in walking boot for 6 weeks approximately. I had my left one done 20 months ago. My op is very involved and started off with pf then they found other problems. I hope you recover well. Just remember to ask for pain relief if you are in pain and keeping top of it. It makes recovery much easier. Wishing you all the best.
    • Posted

Hi Dennis. How are you? Hope all went well with operation.
    • Posted

Operation went fine. Only took 5 minutes... He said calf was extremely tight and that it would for sure relieve my Achilles and PF pain. We will see. I'm such a skeptic as nothing has worked for 10 yrs. I'm moving slow in a walking boot but I know I can rehab this thing. Already went to the gym yesterday just to move around a bit. I will post in 2 weeks to update progress.

• Posted

Hi, glad things went OK. I'm in walking boot too now. Starting to do gentle exercises as everything is tight from being in a cast. Take it easy Dennis. My last op was successful so I have high hopes that in 2 years time I will be talking long walks with my hubby again. My recovery complete is estimated at 18months but last time was nearer to two years. I am older so I suppose it takes a bit longer. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.