Anxiety Disorder, Learning disability?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Never been strong at book smarts. Dropped out of college due to poor grades and crippling panic attacks. However, i can fly a plane, sail a boat, rebuild an entire car and construct a small building that surpasses inspector regs. Most problems i can trouble shoot and resolve without professional help be they electrical, plumbing, mechanical, or structural. I am a history and science nerd and am overflowing with useless information about many topics, but barely passed these classes in high school and college. My only official training was in aviation which i passed with flying colors. Recently, diagnosed with anxiety disorder and was told diagnoses and ADD are closely linked. My question is this, how can i retain so much information about subjects that should be beyond my comprehension and yet fail so terribly at simple read and retain academics?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My family consists of multiple doctors, a judge, a lawyer, multiple teachers, and me...the lonely pilot who makes barely enough to live on yet can do MANY things my siblings can not.
  • Posted

Wow this sounds so familiar to me this, I know that feeling of terrible grades I still haven't quite figure what's causing my problems I did get anxiety but that has stopped I believe it could be due to ADD.
  • Posted

It may be a matter of comfort. My daughter has OCD and severe anxiety. Can't even order her own food at a restaurant, but give her a guitar and put her on stage in front of 500 people and you would never know anything was wrong. Music is her therapy. Maybe aviation is yours. She is an average student altho her English and history test scores are off the charts, as is her IQ. Her anxiety alone often interferes with her memory and retention. Have you tried any sort of behavioral therapy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.