Swollen toes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a lapidus procedure done on 9/10 and my healing is going well and swelling is going down but in the last couple days the pain has been specifically from my toes. I can see my toes are swollen and they have a odd feeling to them they feel almost like theyre all bunched up together and they feel reall tight like something is pulling on the middle toes. any similar experiences? and is there advice on how to help reduce the swelling besides elevation and ice behind the knee?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nemo. In addition to elevation and icing I've found following an anti-inflammatory diet and taking internal Arnica Montana to have been very helpful for swelling and bruising. I haven't experienced the pulling feeling on the middle toes. I hope that gets better for you soon! I'm having more pain in my big toe but I've increased my ROM PT work so that's why there's been an increase in pain but each day it's getting better. I'm 24 days post-op and all my toes are still swollen. My surgeon said it likelybtaje another month for them to go back to normal. Happy healing to you!
    • Posted

thanks kaliana you're always helpful! I think the swelling might be the worst part of the recovery.hopefully it don't be too hard to return to work in 7 weeks since I'm on my feet
    • Posted

Nemo,

My pleasure. We're in this together. I returned to work yesterday but I sit all the time as a psychologist. I'm sure in 7 weeks you'll be ready to be on your feet.

• Posted

Hello nemo, sorry to hear your in pain. Are you still in a bandage.?If so it could be that it's too tight. Mine was and it caused bruising along the bottom of my other toes which caused me pain. If your out of the bandage try hot & cold water therapy.....put foot in one bowl of hot water then after a few minutes change to the ice cold bowl. It helps with the swelling and is good for the circulation. Hope this helps.

Good luck.xxxx

• Posted

I had my ace bandage taken off yesterday and now on just km a compression sock
  • Posted

hi there, yes i can relate to what you are saying and it does sound like the norm.... i had both feet done at once and toe correction, i had the two done together because i knew i would not go back, i am now five months post op and still can not walk normally and can only get one pair of trainer shoes on due to the swelling still present, the tightness and bunching up is still present and the swelling takes quite a time to go, remember you are still healing inside and the swelling is the bodys way of telling us its busy healing the wound, just try to rest as much as you can at this stage and elevate and ice as much as you can, i often had my feet in a bowl of cool water i found it did help and then i would put them high on a pillow and tried to get into a good film, i still get shooting pains and a dull pain quite alot during the day, you will be ok but just have to follow the precedure of recovery, it is a long road but we do all get there in the end, we are all here to help you and give our experiences of this surgery, message anytime and remember you are never alone, wishing you better, gillian x
    • Posted

thanks that's very helpful! I see my doctor tomorrow to have stitches cut so I'll see what she says as well.I hope getting the stitches cut won't hurt I'm a but nervous about that.and I can't get the foot wet yet but I'll keep that in mind!
    • Posted

If I remember correctly you have dissolveable stitches. For me at my 3 week post-op they cut the tops of a few. It didn't hurt and it was quick. They continue to dissolve and sone have even popped out on their own. Good luck tomorrow!
  • Posted

Nemo

bith feet, and the middle toes hurt for ages, I had hammer toe release as well, not to mention the swellings, which after 10 months, still happens.

this is only the start of the recovery and you'll get pains in places that you didn't know you had.

find out if you can soak your feet yet, alternate hot and cold will help.

keep up with the PT. also a bag of frozen peas on your foot will help - refreezeable as well.

youll get plenty of advice here,

good luck tomorrow 

caroline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.