Omeprazole and Amoxicillin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, I'm a 17 year old girl and on Saturday night I had a horrible pain in my belly so a nurse came out and said that I have blood and protein in my urine. So she gave me Omeprazole and Amoxicillin. She said that the Omerprazole is used to protect my belly from the antibiotics and said have 1 Omerprazole pill a day until Monday. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I should continue with the Antibiotics ( Amoxicillin) till the end of the course. I take 3 antibiotics pills a day I took one this morning but I wasn't sure if I should still take the Omerprazole? Since its to protect my stomach, could it be dangerous to take more than I'v been told?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Amoxicillin can promote over production of acid. The omeprazole counters that.

You must always complete your course of antibiotics but you may not need the omperazole any longer as the effects can last for days.

If you're worried, you can keep a bottle of gavisconhandy in case you notice any acidity problems.

• Posted

Thank you for replying!

Ah right! I'v actually took one today as I get very paranoid and like to take it with my morning antibiotic pill, I took it about 15 minutes ago and since then my belly has been rumbling like I'm hungry but I'm not. Would that be the omperazole pill?

• Posted

Could be an effect of excess acid. Omeprazole doesn't work as quickly as that. It needs to dissolve in the duodenum.
  • Posted

Hi Aimee. Antibiotics upset my stomach and I take a PPI. Barrett knows what he/she is talking about. I often have to take Gaviscon Advance as well, especially when on Amoxicillin.

Regards, Val

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.