Eyelid swelling

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, new here and in need of help.

I've just been diagnosed with Sjorgen's and my main complaint is eyelid swelling in one of my eyes that acts up every single day from the afternoon until I go to sleep. I've been to 5 eye docs already and they say that besides the dryness my eyes are perfectly healthy (no sign of blepharitis) and had no suggestions for the swelling besides topical steroids which did not help. Eye drops and moisturizing ointments and Protopic have not helped either.

Has anybody found relief for this distressing symptom?

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shira,

When mine was swelling it was actually due to an infection of the eyelid. Go see your GP. You might also want to call the Sjorgrens Society for some helpful tips.

Hope this helps.

Mandy x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Mandy, it's been swelling from the afternoon onwards for half a year now, and the docs all claim there's no sign of infection. Last eye doc admitted he was completely "stumped" as to what it could be. If you think the Sjorgen's Society might help I'd be happy to contact them.
    • Posted

You can try taking an allergy tablet. I take Claritin when mine are playing up and that seems to work. But I would still call the Sjorgrens Society I find them to be quite helpful.

Mandy x

• Posted

I've tried a few antihistamines and none of them seemed to help, including desloratadine (same as Claritin).

Thanks for the suggestion to contact the Society. I wonder if they're familiar with this problem.

• Posted

Have you tried lacrilube at night only?

Have you got any concretions?

Are you taking any medication for anything else?

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean, thanks for your reply.

I haven't tried specifically Lacrilube but other eye drops such as Systane, Hylocomod and the like. The ointments actually seem to make the condition worse for some reason...

In any case, my eyes are always fine in the morning, the problem begins later on in the day.

No concretions as far as I know.

I've stopped all meds in past few months because of this problem except the occasional sleeping pill. 

• Posted

Shira

You are welcome. If the ointments of drops make this worse then I would advise discontinue them.Steroids can occasionally help but may cause glaucoma and cataract.

I have sent you a PM with some evidence based treatments . Jean

• Posted

So far topical steroids haven't been helping.

I wonder if maybe oral steroids would be more helpful in this case... 

Thank you so much for the PM Jean but for some reason I haven't received it.

• Posted

Hi Shira

I just googled the management and treatment of dry eyes in in Sjogrens syndrome. I tried to cut and paste it.

Kind regards

Jean

• Posted

You may have Meibomium Gland dis function which is common. Try putting a clean facecloth soaked in pre boiled water as hot as you can tolerate for 5 minutes then gently massage your closed lids. That might help.
    • Posted

Thanks Pam, docs claim I don't currently have MGD, though I did have it a few years ago. Strange. Still, I have tried the MGD treatment of warming and massaging and with my current condition it makes the flare-up worse since anything that now touches my eyelid makes it swell all the more. 
    • Posted

Do you take calcium?

The glands could be blocked with chalk deposits, this happened to me then I got concretions which were removed but some were embedded underneath on the inner surface of my upper eyelid, agonising.

The deposits and concretions have now cleared up. Touch wood.

Try not to wear eye make up as tis will dry the eyes fuurther adding to the problem.

Jean

• Posted

Good advice I was told not to wear any make up age 16 as I had PCOS! The cysts with that we're gashtly not ordinary acne cystic type and it only went age 61 as I had a hysterectomy but they left my ovaries In!
    • Posted

Thanks Jean, got the PM!

How can I go about getting checked for those chalk deposits? Can any eye doc check for them or is a special procedure required?

I just had a procedure to remove salt build-ups in my salivary glands (also agonizing!) so that would make sense.

• Posted

Sounds terrible Pam, make up does seem to make my symptoms even worse but it's so depressing to go without !
    • Posted

Hi Shira

Yes any eye dr should be able to make the diagnosis of dry eyes.

It is not as trivial as it may sound because as you know it is a painful condition.

My ophthalmoplogist diagnosed it on the basis of a straightforwad  eye examination.

He just put local anaesthetic drops into each eye so he coud examine tem under the slit lamp. This is the lamp with the chin and forehead rest .

The upper eyelid should be inverted to check for any fb's or foreign bodies that may have become trapped underneath the upper eyelid thus acting as an irritant against the eye.

If there are deposits of chalk from the blocked conjunctival sacs the dr usually removes them there and then. This nomally gives immediate relief.

My left eye was reddened but it was due to a concretion irritating it .

The dr usually checks the pressure of the eyes as well to exclude glaucoma.

Also examines the retina or the back of the eye.

Checks for any cataracts and any other conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.