Chevron Bunionectomy Discomfort

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had chevron bunion surgery on August 19, 2015.  The first week was a nightmare of feeling like the entire foot was stuck in a wasp nest (stinging, burning and pressure from swelling).  I can't take any if the usual painkillers like Hydocodone or Lortab, so the doc prescribed Tramadol.  It worked for the first couple of days, then I broke out with itching and hives.  The doc had me take two Excedrin Migraine every 12 hours with two Tylenol in between (meds at 6 hour intervals).  Didn't help much.  Am now five weeks out and still needing to elevate the foot most of the time and taking one of the Tramadol or 1/2 of a Loraizapan each night to calm it down and sleep--and ice, ice, ice for the burning.  Has anyone else had this experience with their surgery?  Everything I find is swelling, throbbing, etc.  Not the stinging sensation I continue to get when the foot is down for very long or gets tired.  Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You sound like everyone that had surgery by an orthopedic surgeon. 

Decided im going with a podiatrist and an extra strength advill

• Posted

Hi Yeowch,

​Keep smilin' and start moving your foot the best you can. I had stinging and burning and puffiness too the first 2 weeks. I am now 23 days post with an Austin bunionetomy. No bandage as of today. Ask your doctor first, but I was instructed to walk, plus deeply massage, manipulate, and stretch my toe and whole foot as much as I can stand...a lot. ​The puffiness and stinging heat is scar tissue (lactic acid) and needs to be massaged to disolve in the body then the pain will subside. It most certainly did for me! I feel great. When you massage and stretch, it will hurt but, try to visualize the pain as good pain disolving the bad stuff ;-) Also there are many after surgery bunion exercises to check out if you do a google search. Make certain you ask your doctor first though...you may have different circumstances and it may not be good. Best to you.

• Posted

Hello Yeowch, I am 8 weeks post bunion op and like you I experienced a lot of pain in the first 2 weeks.  I have a low pain threshold so I was in tears many a day. I had my bandages off  at 4 weeks. The scar area was scabby, red and inflamed at first but since I have been massaging bio oil into it it has healed really well. My foot is no longer painful but it gets a little uncomfortable as it's still swollen and the foot does go a funny purple colour at times, more so towards the end of the day so I stick my foot in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes followed by a bowl of iced cold water, this helps the swelling and is good for the circulation. I also do this after I,ve done my foot excercises... It feels nice.

Hope this helps. You are not alone. This site has been a god send.

Good Luck with your recovery😀😀😀😀😀

• Posted

P.s Yeowch. Before using bio oil make sure the wound is not open.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.