Advise please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Mirt 30 for around a year. I tried to wean off once and fell apart. I can no longer cope with this 2 stone of excessive weight.

i know I have to try to wean very slowly again but I worry the same will happen. 

Could anybody tell me if a new AD is introduced after weaning or before. Also has anyone any advise on which would be the best substitute as my GP has no clue. She initially referred me to a private psych but this has been costly at £150 per visit. 

Mny thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

New AD can't really be started until you wean of Mirt.  My GP has no clues either, totally useless you have to do your own research.

Sorry I cant help more. xx

• Posted

Surely the psychiatrist recommended a medication?  

The NHS is likely to provide an SSRI antidepressant.  You have to use trial and error to find the best one and the dosage. 

• Posted

You can lose weight on mirtazapine. It is hard, but can be done. I gained around 2 stone too, and have been on the drug nearly 4 years. In January this year I made a decision to lose the weight and not come off the drug. I have shifted ALL of the weight I gained. This drug keeps me sane, and I'd rather fight the food cravings and the lower metabolisim, than come off it. I feel happier than ever now that I've lost the weight, but it isn't easy. It is a battle I will have to fight forever whilst I'm on mirtazapine.
    • Posted

May I ask what dose you are on please. I am also reluctant to stop as I do in fact feel very well. It's just this weight. I cannot bare to look at myself. I was hoping that reducing VERY slowly to start with may help.

• Posted

I am on 30mg. It really has been a marvelous drug for me apart from the weight gain, which as I say, is no longer a problem. It has stopped my migraines, helped me sleep, stopped my IBS, my itching, and my nausea, as well as keeping my depression at bay. I keep to a rogorous diet and log everything I eat and drink every day. If I over indulge one day, I just drop my calories the next and I am still losing weight even though I have got rid of the weight I put on with mirtazapine. I am now slightly lighter than before I went on it. I also exercise every day, which helps a lot. Yes, it is hard work to stay in shape, but I have never felt so fit and energetic. I have the body as slim and toned as when I was 20, and I'm 53! So it CAN be done on mirtazapine.
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine,

we have people in our Mirt group who have started a cross taper with another AD before going off mirt entirely but you would have to speak with your doctor about this.

we have people withdrawling from mirt in the group, staying on mirt and also those who are fully off. If you'd like to join the group Pm me.

good luck. ....there is a good answer out there. Keep searching...all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.