Bisoprolol and weight loss and nightmares

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

I am on Bisoprolol but for the first few weeks had to go to bed every afternoon with fatigue - that has now passed thank goodness.  I had my dose reduced from 7.5 because of nightmares and since being on 5 mgms they have gone away and the anxiety too!

I do seem to have lost a fair amount of weight since taking them and am not sure if this can happen.Has any one else lost weight on them.

I have atrial tachycardia, hypertension and a moderate to severe impairment of the left ventricle and am nearly 68

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Suzanne

Bisoprolol is a nasty drug but you need to be on it judging from your history. Have you tried cardicor. It is cardio selective. This is the only b beta that suits me . I have Long QT syndrome.

Are you in the US?

• Posted

Hello Jean

No I am in the Uk but thanks for your kind reply.  The consultant thought Bisoprolol was the best one for me but I do not feel quite the same as I did without it! Felt terribly fatigued at first but that has gone now and pulse now 56 - 60 and it was 140!!!

• Posted

Suzanne

Like I said you definitely need something. BTW I have been told to take my pulse just to make sure it is NOT below 60.

Told not to take the beta blocker Cardicor if pulse below 60.

However that is advice about ME and may not apply to you.

So please do not act on it!

Kind regards

Jean

• Posted

Should read Cardicor is a beta blocker but it is a different mix and manufacturer to the generic bisoprolol. I can only tolerate cardicor . I am only on a small dose of 1.25 mgs a day , it is prescribed for Long QT syndrome . Drs will tell you that these drugs are all the same but they are not. If you advise your dr tht the phqrmacists you have spoken to about ths say that they are NOT all the same and thhat different manufacturers have different mixes tc the dr may take you more seriously. Just one bisoprolol of a different, generic, brand was more than enough to give me a blinding hhedace, feel sick and dizzy and a feeling of continual swooning

I could not live my life like that and it was my pharmacist who identified the problem. The dr cannot expect anyone to take something that is so detrimental.!

• Posted

I was put on bisoprolol after surgery to replace my diseased aortic valve with a mechanical one.  I did not have high blood pressure but have been told this is normal post heart surgery.  My surger was over a year ago and although trying to build up exercise, whenever i walked it was like i was carrying a ton weight around with me.  the i began having cramps in my legs and evntually hands. finally i was in so much pain in my legs whenever i walked and i became depressed.  also the soles of my feet became numb so i couldnt wiggle my toes.  three weeks ago on follow up visit with cardiologist, i was told to stop bisoprolol immediately and i should have been put it in the first place.  however he did say should i have high blood pressure in the future, i would not be put on this type od drug again, there are alternatives.  so what i am saying Suzanne, is sometimes side effects can be insidious but from what you say its important you stick with what has been prescribed but just be aware, keep a note of the side effects and tell your doctor.   my own gp said, oh this is prescribed for a lot of people with no problems.  wish you well take care.
    • Posted

Hi Mary

Mind my asking how you are now? How are your legs and feet? Have the signs and symptoms improved at all.

Kind regards

jean

• Posted

Hi Jean its been three weeks since I stopped and am gradually getting feelings back in my toes. I dont wake up with stiff hands any more and walk normally first thing (woud walk like stiff doll when i woke up before !). still get some tingling in thumb and if I restrict my circulaton in my legs ie too tight pants or sitting in restricted position in car for long distanes but mentally feeling much better (brain fog gone) and know I am walking faster.  i think this medication also interferred with the thyroxene i take as cant shift extra weight i gained because had to stop walking too far.  yes horrific drug am so pleased i am off it.  wish i could register side effects so GP's arent so blase when a patient comes in with symptoms.  I ended up writing my syptoms down. thank you for asking.
    • Posted

Mary

I have much to thank you for. I too am on bisoprolol- Cardicor 1.25 mgs for long QT syndrome. However i am suffering with peripheal neuropathy just like you are/were. I think it is due to bisoprolol because if I take aan extra half of a tablet th burning etc goes worse.

I would like to talk to you about this. if possible

Kind regards

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.