Can 6 weeks on Plaquenil affect lip biopsy results for Sjogrens

Posted , 3 users are following.

The rheumy diagnosed Sjogrens as I had a very dry mouth , swollen knuckles and wrists and put me on Plaquenil and predisolone while I waited for a lip biopsy on saliva glands and awaited blood test results for rheumatoid arthritis . The RA came back as negative and the lip biopsy has been delayed . I have been on the steroids and Plaq for last 6 weeks....I have been told to taper off the steroids from 7.5 mg to 0 over 2 months period but to continue taking Plaq. ..however after 2 weeks of tapering my chest pains returned as I ran out of my PPI med ( originally diagnosed as having GERD and Barrett's Essophagus 4 months ago...but last month was told Barrett's now negligible and could stop the PPI as soon as stopped steroids and Plaq.) Today I stopped my steroid and Plaq as can't go through intense chest pains with no relief...if symptoms return I will resume Plaq and go to gastro and get more PPI.

My question is should I bother at this stage to get a lip biopsy as I have been on steroids and Plaq for last 6 weeks.....or wait and if symptoms return then do it?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shaq!

It sounds like you are getting closer to a diagnosis. I think you should absolutely go forward with your biopsy. The Plaquenil helps manage the disease it doesn't get rid of it. Plaquenil  takes a long time to build up in your body. (I'm talking months) Knowing what I know now I suggest to you to try to relax and stay the course. Refill the meds you need for your chest pain, follow the Doctors advice on tapering off the steroid and get the biopsy done as soon as you can get in (the results will be another piece of the puzzle). You can ask your doctor if he thinks the meds will effect the results of your biopsy and does it make a difference if you have the biopsy during a flare or if you are non-symtomatic.   I know it is hard waiting for results when you are feeling bad but you are almost there and soon you will have an answer to what specifically is making you sick. Hang in there and feel better,

Sally

• Posted

Sorry, Sally! That was for Shaq! Ps...I always like your kind , knowledgeable answers to everyone! - Mo
  • Posted

Hi. No, the Plaquenil and Prednisone won't change the outcome of the biopsy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.