Osteoarthritis and now developing frozen shoulder.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. Im so sorry to read about all your problems and agree frozen shoulder is one of the most debilitating conditions I have ever known! I was diagnosed in June 2015 with osteoarthritis in the lower lumbar/sacral area and have been off work in severe pain since. I was having physiotherapy and mentioned I was getting burning pain and stiffness in my left shoulder, thinking she would probably tell me I was developing OA in my shoulder too. After a check and quick assessment she referred me to my GP who has diagnosed a frozen shoulder. Since then the pain and stiffness has gotten worse and is actually overshadowing my backpain. I have been referred to MSK CATS who following an X ray were going to give me a steroid injection. However I have now been told they can see something on the Xray in the glenohumeral area and I now have to go for an MRI scan. Still waiting for an appointment and now in so much pain I could cry.. Not sleeping and really struggling to carry out basic activities such as dressing, washing my hair, etc. Im feeling really down and fed up.I know I am feeling very sorry for myself but can't seem to snap out of it. Today I have been told I need steroid injections in my back as well.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oooh sorry to hear that. I'm suffering with my right shoulder at the moment. It's really miserable isn't it?

I'd give anything for an undisturbed nights sleep. Still waiting for my NHS Physio appointment (end of Oct) but don't hold out much hope of help there. So I'll have to save my pennies and go back to the private Physio, she's worth every penny! Shame it doesn't last long.

When that sort of pain is such a big part of your life you can't just 'snap out of it'. Take it easy. I hope the injections give you some relief.

• Posted

I'm so sorry about your situation. You are right. It's the worst pain I've ever felt too. There is no quick fix. I've had two frozen shoulders. Assuming that an MRI doesn't show any tears etc, try to get yourself out of as much pain as you can thru prescribed pain medication first. Try to do gentle exercise but pay attention to what makes the pain worse. If you suspect you have hypothyroidism, try to find a doctor to diagnose and treat you for that as well because many people believe there is a hormonal link to frozen shoulders.  This will be hard. It is self limiting but sometimes surgery is needed to break up the scar tissue from the inflammation that may lock your shoulder/arm down. Don't worry about anyone that does not understand your pain. You are the only person that can take care of yourself for a while until this passes. 
  • Posted

Hi,  The pain in frozen shoulder gets worse before it gets better believe me.I have had 3 years of it and have just returned to work after having 7mths off. I still get the deep pain in the lower arm, particularly when I have been using a mouse a lot and pain in the biceps can still be felt. If you do have to have steroid injections don't expect a miracle. They can sometimes help, but not always. I was given one in my neck for my C6. It did make a big difference but then the problem seemed to radiate to frozen shoulder. My treatment has been operations and steroids. I go back to consultant next monday but I know I am not cured yet. Keep positive as it will come to an end at some point. On your down days think of someone or something that could be worse and you will get through. Sleep deprevation does not help so scripted medication should be offered you. You could have a bone spur which should show up on the MRI. This makes frozen shoulder worse and normally this is removed. Try icing it or a warm pad. Keep us all posted to how you are doing and if we can help you through your tough times then message us. Best Wishes
  • Posted

They can prescribe lidocaine patches as well Tramadol helped me but if you get migraines, it's probably that drug so stop taking in that event. It is a synthetic opiate. Good luck to you and don't expect anyone who hasn't had a frozen shoulder to understand your pain. It's like trying to get a guy to understand having a baby face up with no pain relief...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.