Sore shoulders and chest after a cup of coffee

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please help. Within the last 18 hours my health took a real nosedive after just one cup of coffee. I don't drink coffee often, just once in a while due to my reflux and it's the first time that coffee has ever affected me this badly. Both my shoulders hurt and it feels as if I'm about to die from a heart attack. What do I do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, go to your gp. Any chest and shoulder pain should be checked out. Plus, they can look at changing your meds to counteract the reaction from the coffee.

I sympathise, as I too have had almost constant chest pain over the last few weeks, except mine was brought on by exercise and an asthma attack! I went to see my gp for new meds too yesterday. We shouldn't have to live our lives feeling like this all the time.

Good luck xx

• Posted

I try and limit my reflux probs by identifying what upsets me and I had a bad reaction to a cup of coffee a couple of days ago. I had it at home, usual coffee, usual milk, but got actual heartburn (usually I just get LPR). If you had the coffee at a cafe or elsewhere maybe it was the milk used? I only have coffee every now and then as it can set me off. Tea kinder.
  • Posted

As it turns out it was gas all along. The doctor who saw me this morning gave me a look that said "you have got to be joking, right?" I kept saying that this was a heart attack and then he just pressed on my stomach and it hurt like hell. "That," he told me "is what coffee can do when you're not supposed to drink it." I was given the regular prescription meds and advised to stay away from any and all caffeine. No chocolate for the reat of my life but hey. I can deal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.