mums diabetes

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mum has been suffering from hypo unawareness and has 2 bad hypos where i have had to call an ambulance and i her sugar levels are so low we are doing her blood sugar levels and they keep dropping low any advice on how to raise them and keep it at a decent level please also with these hypos she has had she hasnt known what has been happening at all

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If her diabetes medication is Gliclazide then occasional hypo's might be experienced, and this is why it is necessary for her to conduct regular BG testing.

​If this is not the case please let me know what medications, if any she is taking.

• Posted

Hypos can be very dangerous and therefore need to be carefully monitored and reported to her doctor, so that action or additional diabetes education can be thrown into the pot.

​Carrying glucose tablets is only a temporary fix - what is probably required here is her doctor's intervention.

• Posted

Her doctor wanted her to see the diabetic nurse at the practise which she did but she is no help at all she doesnt give any advise we are waiting for a referal from the diabetic clinic she has lowered her insulin and that is helping a bit and we are taking her sugar level more often than normal the doctor didnt seemed worried about her diabetes more worried about her different bp in each arm
  • Posted

Hi Tracey.

I have only just recently been told I have diabetes but one thing my nurse did say was to make sure I always carry with me a packet of Dextro energy sweets incase my levels go low. As soon as you think your low, chew 2 or 3. They are high in sugar and quickly absorbed. They are easy to find all the chemist 's will have them , also tesco stocks them in the medicines aisle. They are less than a pound a pack and easy to carry a packet in the bottom of your handbag. I keep one in the car too just incase. All different flavours. If you cant get these then jelly babies are also good to replace the sugar although for me a tempation to finish the lot once I start ! Hope this helps. Carolyn

• Posted

Yes she has glucose sweets with her she also has tubes of dextrogel in case of an emergency now
  • Posted

If she is on Insulin she should probably reduce her long acting insulin. If she is still continuing to get into difficulties she should gradually reduce the mealtime insulin at the time it occurs. Eg if a hypo is a couple of hours after lunch, reduce the lunchtime short acting insulin. Only do one adjustment at a time though until you get it right.
    • Posted

She had a bad hypo which we thought she was losing Consciousness and that was before her last nighttime injection is 36 and then the last one 2.30am she has 3 injection during the day also at 12 for each one we take her sugar level and its ok and then in a couple of hours it can drop down but she just isnt aware of the hypos anymore
    • Posted

We have reduced the insulin and it seems to be working her sugar level has raised up to a good level now hopefully this is the key
    • Posted

Hi Tracy. Good I'm glad she is improving. Just keep testing regularly and adjust the insulin accordingly.
    • Posted

Thank you hoping she gets her referal to the diabetic clinic soon and hoping she stays on track now been over a week since the last one so fingers crossed
  • Posted

Also she has different blood pressures in both arms and there is alot of difference the doctor said she could of had a mini stroke and not hypos but surley the first two paramedics and the last 3 she saw and the doctor at the hospital would of picked up on that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.