Carb and Calorie Bomb

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have just eaten Paella, potato wedges topped with baked Camembert and it was [u]delicious![/u]  Isn't it lovely to 'sin' occasionally?

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't consider something that's so enjoyable a "sin"   I told

my GP some time ago that he could keep the drugs......

my addiction is a Hershey bar.   I'm so glad you enjoyed it and

for goodness sake DO NOT FEEL GUILTY think of it as

a reward.

• Posted

Whatever is a Hershey bar?  I am an English ex-pat living in Germany and am really out of touch with modern English.
  • Posted

A Hershey bar is a chocolate bar.  Hershey is a huge company that

puts out all things chocolate.   You can also get a Hershey bar with

Almonds, i prefer plain.  In fact I love chocolate period......

• Posted

I'm just having some lovely ripe Brie on crispness. I try to stay off cheese, but sometimes I just have to indulge.

Hersey is American chocolate, different from European chocolate, as it doesn't contain as much cocoa.

• Posted

I have just finished a bowl of ice cream with a Hershey sauce.

You do sometimes need a treat.

• Posted

Only occasionally?! Crikey if you like it eat it! Regards, tina
    • Posted

Ooooo dear!  Most people can't do that because of their weight.  Luckily I was one of those who took off weight on Pred (1 1/2 stone) so it doesn't matter if I occasionally indulge.  However, since reducing the Pred I have put on about 6 pounds so I will have to take care in the future.

Have a good day.  Regards fr C.💐

• Posted

Yes, weight and preds always a problem. Since I broke my heel 2 weeks ago. I've actually lost 6 lbs! So apart from the damn inconvenience of it all I'm at least happy on the weight question. Regards, tina
  • Posted

Y'all are so funny!!!!  Making me giggle.

i did sin big time while out of town this weekend...I ate cheesy grits! Though they were topped with 2 poached eggs and 4 shrimp (we were at the coast) and even spinach!  But after I do that I crave the bad carbs so much... Guess it's like an addiction!!!  My blood sugar plummeted. Then I got grumpy. Ha.  So, my sins have bad consequences.

i envy those of you who can eat fun stuff. wink 

that Paella sounds so good! 

• Posted

Hmm - IMHO, if there is anything worse than a Hershey bar then it is grits. If there were ever anything whose name sounds like it tastes it's them! Funny though - I love polenta...

I'll take the poached eggs and shrimp though. That isn't me being virtuous - that has always been my favourite sort of food.

• Posted

PS - forgot the Brie... Yum!
    • Posted

Cheesy grits sound pretty good, grits have thiamin, iron, niacin, and loads of other vitamins and minerals. Cheese has lots of calcium, shrimps protein plus B12 while poached eggs have all sorts of things nutritionally good for PMR including vitamin D.  It is the simple carbs that are the big bad wolf. 
    • Posted

Told you - I'll take the cheese and stuff - its the carbs that jsut don't do it for me. 

Mr Solo's birthday tour sounds superb to me - without the ciabatta and chips. However - not sure I'd have partnered tiramisu with Merlot - maybe a nice little Moscato d'Asti or vin Santo (though that likes a bit of cantucci to dunk)...

• Posted

Again, laughing to tears!!! 

Eileen, I'm trying to figure out the IMHO... 

And yes, American chocolate is disgusting! Unless I guess if one grew up on it... Hershey's is big business...When introduced to Swiss or German DARK chocolate is when I became a fan! I do miss my little thumbnail allotment I used to have. Ahhh, my dry mouth is salivating reading these posts! Thank you! 😜

• Posted

We do have a lot of dark choclate in the U.S.  I just happen to

prefer the milk chocolate.

And what is that puffy thing the English eat that's full of grease?

Now that's disgusting.......

I love grits.......I grew up in the south and that was a breakfast

basic......they're awful plain...you have to put a little butter

and salt and pepper on them...

As someone smarter than me said......different strokes for

different folks!!!!!..

• Posted

My favourite breakfast is scrambled egg, smoked salmon and bubbly, although I very rarely am able to have it. What is this puffy, greasy thing? Is it a sausage? 
    • Posted

I think she might mean 'crumpets'.  Delicious things, put on a lot of butter, which sinks right in, or a little butter and a slice of cheese.  Can't get them over here in Germany unfortunately - although it is probably just as well because they are pure carb and fat!

Sometimes I think I'll just have to pluck up enough energy to take a journey to England and just stuff myself, so many foods I miss.

• Posted

My favourite breakfast, too - without the bubbly.  Although kippers come very close!
    • Posted

With you all the way for breakfast! I'll bring the bubbly...
    • Posted

It makes a good lunch, too.  Half boil potatoes, slice, cover with olive oil and herbs, pop in the oven to bake.  Scramble the eggs, lay on top of baked potatoes and top the lot with smoked salmon.  

Life can't be bad! 🍷🍷

• Posted

Just remembered....I think it's called Yorkshire pudding.

Isn't that it?  Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding....????

• Posted

If it's Yorkshires - then you must have had bad ones! They are not meant to be greasy and are WONDERFUL done properly!
    • Posted

my mum did the best yorkshires, in a old fashion range oven, mmmmmmm
    • Posted

So that's what a "toad in the hole" is.   It's advertised at

Harry Potter at Universal and didn't know what it was.

I live about 35 miles from Disney, Universal and Sea World.

• Posted

Hi Faye, "Toad In The Hole" can also be made with lamb chops in the yorkshire pudding instead of sausages, may cost a bit more but very yummy!!! Not sure where Harry Potter fits in though?
    • Posted

Hi MrSolo.  Never heard of toad in the hole with lamb chops!!  What a waste of lamb chops😡.

Back to Yorkshire puddings, though.  We used to have them hot with hot milk and sugar in them for dessert.  I'm a Northern lass at heart!

• Posted

PS. BTW why Mr Solo if you're married?
    • Posted

They were also made with high quality beef for posh people - to make the meat go further!

They were on the table in one of the books: 

"He had never seen so many things he liked to eat on one table: roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops and lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, fries, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, gravy, ketchup, and, for some strange reason, peppermint humbugs" (Sorcerer's Stone 123).

Google In the Kitchen with Harry Potter rolleyes

My husband used to eat left over Yorkshires with jam - but he's from Lincolnshire...

• Posted

They had a menu from some of the restaurants at the Harry

Potter venue at Universal in a local paper that features

restaurant reviews and Toad in the Hole was listed as an entree.

Couldn't imagine what a Toad in the Hole could be.....

Now I know.....thanks...

• Posted

Will you stop it Ptolemy.  Margaret mentioned walnut and date cake (see below) and it cost me €90.  After reading it I just had to get in touch with he British Corner Shop for ex-pats (just to see what they had on offer!!!) and 'bingo' I overspent!😡😃😃
    • Posted

Hi had a fruit cake in oven since seven this morning ready to take to my sons, its called Brack and you put butter on it, lovely(in the Be-ro book)

can smell it. lol

• Posted

i love spotted dick, a young person looked at me daft when i said once that i had had it, i think they thought it was rude!!!!!!!!!!!1
    • Posted

I loved it too - providing there were plenty of sultanas/raisins in it. School dinners at high school made a fantastic syrup sponge...
    • Posted

I've shown my husband how to make Brack and now he's shown one of our grandchildren. It's a never-fail recipe. We don't bother with butter as it's so moist. They made one yesterday.😋😋
    • Posted

Tea loaf or barmbrack. You soak the dried fruit and sugar in hot strong tea overnight before adding the eggs and flour. Irish barmbrack often has whiskey added, Yorkshire brack uses Yorkshire tea.
    • Posted

It's a tea loaf. You soak the fruit and sugar overnight in hot tea . In the morning you add flour and egg and bake. It's so moist. The recipe is in the bero flour recipe book
    • Posted

In Wales they have Bara Bryth. My sister in law's mother makes a lovely one. I know one friend who makes it with Earl Grey tea! 
    • Posted

I wonder how many regional variations there are. I'm off to cut a slice now. It is not what I should be having but the grandchildren are not long gone 😢😢and I am resting and recovering!😃😃

• Posted

ptolemy - could only improve the Earl Grey if you ask me!

Silver - Not sure it would be a bit of tea loaf I'd want after the grandchildren! More a G&T or a stiff whisky...

• Posted

Yes. The gin was beckoning 😇😇and now you've put the idea in to my head again I may succumb.😀😀 I love a malt. Decision time!
    • Posted

Next time put the malt in the brack - best of both worlds! Might even quiet the kids down...
    • Posted

That did make laugh. The halo has slipped and choked me as I'm now sitting with the G&T. I often try to remember why I buy lemons. Now I recall!
    • Posted

I'm sitting here with my left-over red wine from dinner - no lemons required... ;-) AND antiinflammatory they claim :-)
    • Posted

Always a good excuse/ reason to have red wine. I had a great GP, now retired, who would say if I had given up wine that that was the problem.....not drinking enough. A very good GP, much missed, with a dry wit!
    • Posted

Doubt she can get a Be-ro cookbook - but google be-ro barmbrack and you'll get a link to the recipe Constance!
    • Posted

Thanks Eileen, but I don't think I'll bother.  It doesn't sound like one of my "things"!!  The raisins and whisky don't sound too bad though.😋

Something else!  Thought I'd try Arnica Cream again after you mentioned it and this time it worked - strange!  Less pain in knees and ankles in the night.  I think I gave up too soon last time.  Gave it a week this time and pleased with the result.  Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.