Losing the will to live

Posted , 7 users are following.

I im a 47 year old female and for years I have been suffering from health anxiety,about 5 months ago someone on my Facebook page but up photos of mouth cancer that had spread to there nose,after seeing this I constantly worried that I had this awful disease ,I was constantly checking my mouth for any changes and seeked reassurance from my GP constantly ......Then about 3 months ago I started getting a funny sensation in my throat ,some days it feels like a lump and other days it feels like a ball of hair or something ,but the feeling is their constantly and defiantly gets worst as the day goes on .I just can't get away from it and it's making me feel physical sick and I can not focus on anything else ,I keep thinking iv got throat cancer and it's ruining my life .iv read on here about Globus but can it really be that ,I have no trouble swallowing but am constantly chewing bubble gum and sucking sweets as this seems to help ,also when I wake it the morning I think it has gone but once I'm up it soon comes back ,eating food seems to help in the short run but doesn't last so I would appreciate any advice that someone could give me please C

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, definitely sounds like globus I've had it for 2 years. I find it comes and goes but usually lasts about a week. Mine is caused by anxiety too. I also get acid which makes it worse so gaviscon etc can help. A referral to ENT will ease your worry. It's really hard to deal with at first but you learn to cope and it gets better. The less you focus and worry about it the less it bothers you (easier said than done I know!!) globus caused me to be on antidepressants and they did help to some extent. Good luck stay positive!! X
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm a 23 year old male and I also suffer from this condition. I've been suffering for 3 months now. I was a very health anxious person and had several panic attacks prior to having globus sensation. I was diagnosed by an ENT doctor of having GERD/LPR due to Chest tightness and constant burping. I was put on Pantoprazole(PPI) for 2 weeks and it seemed to help my reflux but i kept thinking that i might have developed throat cancer due to acid overflow that reaches my throat. I got to admit that i was overracting and made me even more anxious and ended up being panicky most of the time. Then the lump sensation in my throat suddenly appeared. The lump is 24 hours a day and 7 days a week and the only time i don't feel is when eating (small or large meals) and having a good night sleep. I almost surrendered and thinking of giving up.

I know how devastating it is but thank god, i found this website and came acrross some forums and got some help/advice from people who experience the same thing. Now, i am free from anxiety for almost a month and no longer experience panic attacks and lump seems to be less noticeable. I also learned that if you do not think about it, the less it bothers you (easier said than done) but you gotta give it a try. Listen to music, work out(excercise), watch funny movies and watch movies that would make you cry because it seems that people have developed globus because they've been holding back tears for quite a while (haven't tried this personally though cheesygrin^) but i will.

I am with you in this journey of ours!

Cheers!

Japh

• Posted

This is me word by word formats ten mths. It all started with some abnormal/minor/ unrelated test results. I am a very anxious type A person. Thn it improved for a couple of mths but came back with vengeance again. Now it is there all the time. It used to be better when waking up but honestly it is bad all the time now. It is like a knot in my throat. It moves and can even be in the roof of my mouth. Certain things like hot drinks make it worse and copious amounts of alcohol make it better. I think sleep deprivation makes it worse.

I have had scopes both endo and laryngo as well as neck us. I strongly recommend against over investigation. As a result of my neck is ab benign nodule was discovered and I have had a hemithyroidectomy as a result!

I am a doctor myself and that combined with anxiety is a bad combination. I am constantly thinking I have a deadly cancer and have to rely on my family to stop me from doings re investigations.

I agree try not to think about it (which I can't do of course) but when I am having fun I am not aware of it, resting g helps (I'm an insomniac). I might try chewing gum.

I think you have to be strong. It is very east to let it rule your life and make you depressed. I am kind of resigned to the fact that I might be there forever sad

Anti-depressants and anti- reflux therapy may help although not in my case.

Lastly this forum helps. It is a common condition. Address your anxiety.

Hope this long rant has been helpful.

• Posted

one is solved by Allergy tablet like "Zyrtec" google it only because its non drowsey . but I did benadryl but my allergy guy said ...major reasons for car crashes in USA . but does work. it works on H1  histamine 1

The other is Histamine 2 you need a antacid RANITIDINE TABLET,

take both then from there figure out if your body has H1 H2 histamine release action.

Just by trial and error by ellimanating either  H1 or H2 , but it will go away takes 1- 2hrs to settle

• Posted

The lump is low level histamine realase take Zyrtec first

give it 2 hrs , then just take 1 same time every day 24 hr tab

let us know if works for you !

• Posted

Hi..This could be me, everything you said could have been me...but it is  probably Globus and you will be ok.the stress makes it worse the more stressed the worse it gets. try the exercises that relax your throat they helped me a lot.You posted this a year ago I hope you are ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.