Post Surgical Shoe

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok, so now I'm six weeks out and into my athletic shoe.  Has anyone at this stage gone to a massage therapist and had their foot massaged for help with the swelling?  And has it helped reduce the swelling and discomfort if you have?  Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am 9 weeks and just got into my sneaker for a few days now I have not gone to massage therapist even though I continue with my physical therapist, too scared to be honest because maybe they won't know what they doing
  • Posted

Hi Yeowch

I'm now 3 weeks post op but not been to PT as yet but booked in for next week and dreading it as I cant bear to even look at my foot never mind anyone touching it .

I will ask about the massaging while at my appointment.

• Posted

Hi Yeowch, I am 9 weeks post op. I had physio at 6 weeks and that included  a foot massage. I must say it hurt a bit but me being tense didn't,t help.! My physio said to massage the foot myself which I do. I do hot and cold water therapy which is good for the swelling and circulation and I massage bio oil into the scar....my foot gets pampered rotten😀 Give it a try your feet will thank you for it.x
    • Posted

Susan it's a bowl of hot water and a bowl of iced cold water. You place your feet in the hot water for 10 mins then straight into the iced cold water for 10 mins and repeat this a few times. It does help. Afterwards I massage  my foot with E45 cream or any moisturising cream. It feels lovely😀😀😀😀
    • Posted

Sounds good i will give it a try .

I am still scared to touch it my foot still looks purple 😨

• Posted

Susan my foot still goes purple and I,m now 9 weeks post op especially by the end of the day.  Sometimes it looks as though my feet don,t belong together because of the colouring.xx
    • Posted

Hi Carole

Yes mine is worse when I've been walking on it.

I can now walk without my crutch but after reading some of these posts i feel like I'm a little bit behind where i should be as I'm three and a half weeks post op 😨

• Posted

I'm 5 week post-op. My PT does a ART and lymphatic massage each session. It feels delightful! You want someone trained beyond just general massage if you're not in PT, especially if you have a plate and/or screws in your foot. Soft tissue is very tender after a bunionectomy too.
    • Posted

What the heck is ART?  Thanks for giving me confidence to get massage.
    • Posted

Active Release Technique. It's a certification required treatment that many PT's provide. It's great for a lot of things, especially the delicate soft tissue areas after a bunionectomy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.