Mirt dose

Posted , 6 users are following.

Could anyone tell me please, is there any dose of Mirt that does not stimulate the appetite. Cannot fault the AD other than the horrendous weight gain. My head is right on 30mg for a year but my body is wrecked with a layer of fat. (2stone)

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi i've put on 2st also,however i wld rather have it rather than go back to the utter wreck i was one year ago.Granted i don't really want it but I will get off the mirt sometime and the weight will go.(i tell myself).FYI i am now 13.5st and as i posted yesterday NONE of my suits fit,I have bought new clothes (cheap mind you) but one day I'll get back in my 32R suits ! If mirt suits you (pardon the pun) why change.I thought the grass was greener (ie tried changing) and went thro 3 months of hell - hell trying to get on the meds (venlafaxine) ,and hell going cold turkey to get off it .
  • Posted

Mirtazapine really suits me apart from the weight issues. I also gained 2 stone, but I have maanaged to lose it whilst staying on mirtazapine. It is really hard work because mirtazapine lowers your metabolic rate so that you need fewer calories to stay the same weight. But so far I am keeping it off with lots of willpower and exercise.
    • Posted

Hi Evergreen,

You're doing really well to keep the weight off - I have tried numerous times to cut our the rubbish that Mirt' seems to make me crave and sadly Mirt' always wins ... I need more will power obviously !

• Posted

It is REALLY hard! I crave rubbish all the time and am constantly hungry. If I eat more than 1700 calories in any one day I will put weight on. I had an added incentive of breaking in my little mare, and needed to get under ten stone for that, which I have done. I'm 5ft 10". Now I have to keep it off.
    • Posted

Hi Evergreen

That's pretty slim for 5'10, well done ~ I lost 19 lbs prior to Mirt' - it's been suggested that it may well have contributed to my insomnia & anxiety as I lost it pretty quickly, can never be sure. I'll get there, but don't wait for me lol !

• Posted

Hi ,do you still get ups and downs? I have been feeling great the past 2 weeks then for  the pasat 3 days i've had awful nausea + feeling generally pretty awful.A bit better today.
    • Posted

Yes, I have been on mirt for four years now and feel great around two thirds of the time, then I will inexplicably feel down for a few days and also have periods of insomnia. I have no idea why that is. My weight is also very unpredictable. I can be going great guns, losing a tiny bit every day and then suddenly gain two pounds overnight and stay there for a few days, even though i've been sticking to my diet. This drug definitely does something to your metabolism, and it seems quite unstable too. But overall, it has really helped me.
  • Posted

Hello, I will just rely my findings/experience I have been on every dose of mirtazapine and honestly the hunger for me has not changed. I have put on almost 6 stone within a year.. I'm five foot two and this weight is dangerous for me..

I have heard of some people (rare but they are out there) who have immense self control and fight the hunger. Some people claim taking it at night lessens the binge urge..

Honestly in many cases it comes down to either being happy overweight with sleep/improved depression or quitting and staying happy with your appearance.. 

I'd say if the weight gets to say, how severe my gain is, I don't think it'd be healthy at all to remain on it. But if you can eventually control it. Good luck.

It is a good drug but for some of us we just can't fight the weight..

I don't think changing doses helps much at all.. And if it does, it's very rare rolleyes

All the best of luck to you !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.