codeine for prolapsed bowel

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been using codeine for prolapsed bowel for three months and for the first ten weeks they were absolutely brilliant helping with pain but particularly with symptoms but last fortnight, their effectiveness has almost completely worn off and I feel like I am on the verge of a complete nervous breakdown because of it, why doesn't any medication work LONG TERM?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Fiona,

i would suggest you ask to see a gastroenterologist.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I'm already seeing one, she says there is nothing further they can do, however the codeine are working again so that's good x
    • Posted

Hi Fiona,

When you have time could you explain what led up to your surgery Ventral Rectopexy.

What were your symptoms prior to surgery?

How old are you do you have kids?

I am considering this surgery.

When did you have the operation?

Would appreciate when you have time listening to your story.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Fiona I am 9 weeks post op for rectocele and I too was taking codeine but grad didn't seem to help much when I asked doc she said it is a med that the body gets used too so dose has to be continually upgraded to make it work so I went off of it but I am suffering now.  I hate this feeling that it's never going to get better and it does make you feel desperate doesn't it.  Cant believe so many other ladies are suffering long term as well shame the doc tells you all is well after 6 weeks haven't heard anybody say they are all back to normal by then. At least I don't feel quite so much like a freak !  Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.