Always feel unwell .barretts osaphagus. oesophagitis. back pain .

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone . I am currently 29 . Have barretts osaphagus .oesophagitis. I always feel ill and run down .I constantly keep getting loads of ulcers In my mouth .bad thrush on tongue .have an awful taste in mouth and smell in nose. I have been on omeprazole for about 6-7 years now. But I am not sure wether they are helping me anymore as I always have indigestion and heartburn when I eat still. Is there another form of ppi which anybody could recommend .I would like to stop poi buy worried if I do . Also my bones feel week all the time my back is so bad lower constantly giving in on me. But I only have a bit of soya milk everyday in a cup of tea. As I am lactose intolerance. Also ciloec. Over the last couple of weekend I have had party arrangements and have had a few beers from time to time a bit to many on Friday .But feel awful next day with stomach . Just wish could enjoy the beer like everyone else does and food. Any suggestions on how bad ppi. Are long term on your body coz I have always said they my treat 1 problem but cause another.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Also ibs is not good
  • Posted

You really need to discuss this with your doctor. Some of these symptoms may well be due to reflux, some may be due to medication but some may be due to other factors.

Ulcers in the mouth and thrush on the tongue are not usually signs of reflux but of bacterial infection.

Bad taste in mouth may be from reflux but it's more likely it would reduce your sense of smell.

What we think of as bones feeling weak is usually actually muscles feeling weak. Although long term high dose PPI may be responsible for bone loss due to induced hypochlorhydria, we don't actually feel that.

If you do have induced hypochlorhydria, you could well be anaemic or hypomagnasaemic. Your doctor should send you for blood tests to determine the issues and be able to provide appropriate supplementation if necessary.

PPIs have a bad press but are amongst the safest medicines available and are good at their job of reducing acid. However, they are powerful drugs that must be used correctly and at the lowest effective dose. If you are still getting acid oversecretion, the dose may need increasing or you may have become used to the omeprazole and need to be switched to an alternative - lansoprazole, pantoprazole etc.

When did you have your last surveillance scope?

• Posted

Hi pal thanks very much for your advice and information . I had my last scope in may last year . I'm not due another 1 until early next year sometime . What are nexium lime are they any better .
    • Posted

Nexium is the PPI esomeprazole. Research has show all PPIs taken in equivalent doses are as good as each other in controlling acid. Some patients may find one more tolerable than another though.

Nexium has been aggressively marketted by Astra Zeneca who produce it and commissioned some research to show it's better than the other PPIs but it's not. (Their tests claimed 40mg esomeprazole was equivalent to 20mg omeprazole when in fact they are weight for weight equivalent.)

Nexium typically costs ten times as much as the cheapest generic omeprazole which is just as good.

• Posted

OK pal thanks alot for advice. Will look into it when speak to doctor. I am there next week again . Just fed up of feeling ill all the time . Ibs bothers me aswell. But will look into what you said and speak to the doctors .

Appreciate the advice

• Posted

Thanks for that information. It is very helpful to me as an IBS and GERD sufferer. I live in the UK and have had evey "prazole" going over the years and am now suffering a lot of muschle and bone pain. Have started taking B Complex and B12 tablets also containing Brewers Yeast with foodand not getting symptons any more. Might give up the PPI's. What do you think?  From time to time I have to take Gaviscon as well when on the PPI's.

Regards, Val.

• Posted

Forgot to say I am waiting the results of blood tests for just about everything, including all the "B's" especially B12 and I do NOT fancy B12 injections!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.