first colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Seen the gastro doc on thursday.  told him what was going on..(constant blood in BM and stomach ache) he  give me more antibiotics and said I never got over the last flare up completely and that I had another infection. He is sending me for a colonoscopy.  what can I expect?  I've heard some horror stories.  My mom said it wasn't that bad (she did it without sedation) but then I've heard about it causing problems after it was done.  Any info wouold be greatly appreciated

Sunni

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've had one and it was uncomfortable with anaesthetic but not painful. Still better than a visit to the dentist  IMHO.

Hardest part many say is the meds taken to cleanse the bowel prior to the procedure. I had Moviprep which tasted like turps with consistency of vaseline.

Good luck it's worth it 

RegardsPete

• Posted

The awful stuff you have to take to clear your system is the worst part. I had the general and woke up just fine. Nothing at all to be concerned about. Good luck
    • Posted

so they put you right under?  uggh..I have a crappy time coming out of annestatic. Both my mom and dad had it done and mom had to drink a thick syrupy stuff and dad had to just drink two little packets of powder mixed in water. Hope I get the powder...lol ...doesn't sound very delicious!
    • Posted

Hi Sunni. I had sedation but wasn`t put out completely. Just makes you feel really relaxed. Procedure uncomfortable, but bearable. Yes..... the drinks are the worst part. Don`t leave the house as the need for the loo will just come on you. I was back home within a couple of hours. Good luck..
  • Posted

I agree, the pre clean out is just horrible and worse than the actual gastro.  I did ask to be sedated so haven't got a clue what happened during it, if I was gabbling away, totally coherent or sounding like I was off my face.  The result was that they at least were able to diagnose the DD so one step closer to knowing what was wrong with me.  You may well have a lot of discomfort afterwards due to the air they pump in to you so you will need to let that pass through but otherwise a relief it was all over

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.