How much more can be thrown at me?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

So as some of you who have seen my previous posts know, Im having the fundoplication and hernia repair in 3 weeks, getting nervous now!!

However this post is slightly unrelated; I have also just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and wondered if anyone else suffers with this as well as reflux/Barratts problems!

???

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, i was told years ago that the cause of my pains was fibromyalgia. Its only as the years have gone by and random pains gradually got worse that i have learnt more about it. Everyone has different symptoms, some manage to work with it and others are unable to. Some of my problems are muscle pains. twitches, cramps and odd burning sensations on part of skin area. Sharp pains in hips and pelvic area, back and neck. Stiffness, bouts of sudden and extreme tiredness, dry eyes and IBS .A few years i started with acid indigestion, now its more the silent type and a recent endoscopy showed a small hernia and a small patch of inflammation due to the acid. I get bloating and burping and pains in chest due to it and reluctantly started taking Ranitadine on my doctors advice. I hate taking tablets as dont want side effects on top of other health problems. I did once try a PPI that the doctor recommended but stopped after a week after getting visual problems which were listed in side effects. I find its a case of knowing your bodies limits and pacing yourself which is not easy, something as simple as carrying something heavy can give you pain the next day. I joined a uk fibromyalgia forum which helped me understand some of the problems and can offer advice. Best wishes, Frances.
    • Posted

Thank you Frances.

I was lucky that my consultant explained the condition very well, I'm doing my best to power through, but a lot of things I was advised to do to help it I can't because of the positioning of my hernia and current health due to the acid problems, so hopefully after recovery from the op I will be able to focus on the fibromyalgia.

• Posted

Stephanie, just a quick note about my Fundoplication op which I underwent 10 weeks ago today.

I am well feeling better than I have for some years in fact. I can eat almost normally but still avoid spicy foods.  3 small meals a day now suit me well & of course I can eat fruit and &" healthy " foods which had been impossible before.I was very worried before the procedure but I had an amazing Surgical team & I have had very few difficulties during my recovery.

I am happy to write more about post op diet etc if that might be helpful but in haste now & just wanted to offer you some encouragement even though you were asking about something completely different today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.