Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been off mirtazapine for 2 weeks now and am having bad withdrawals. I think the taper was too fast. I was on 30mg then 22.5mg then stopped completely. I was wondering if it's safe to go back on to the mirtazapine and do a much slower taper? And what dose would I start at?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've come off it after being on it 4 weeks. This day 3. so far so good feel clearer headed. Hoping I don't get a delayed WD though. I went to see GP about this medicine and explain my concerns and told him how I couldn't hack 30mg. He said to remain on just 15mg. I said I'd tried halving tablets but he didn't seem interested in my efforts..Then when I got home and reread pack it said swallow tablet whole! Is that generic advice or does halving the tabs affect efficacy?
    • Posted

Hi Pippa,

I decided to cut back from 30 to 15 and like you Was halving pills however my GP says it's not an accurate thing e.g. One day you may get 10 next day 20 so it's better to getting the 15mg pills prescribed.

• Posted

Thanks Sheila,

I'm glad they've given me 15mg then. Did you notice a huge difference at 30 and is15 keeping things on an even keel? I particularly want to have more balance with mood and not be so reactive as I can't change the stressors easily in my life right now.

• Posted

Hi Pippa,

I've not noticed any difference, I must be one of the lucky ones. I stepped down from 45mg, stablised on 30mg for a couple of months then down to 15mg. I have no intention of stopping taking it completely as it is a fab AD for me😊

• Posted

Hi Shauni

This is effectively 'cold turkey' - you can search this site and find lots of info' re the effeccts of that.  I too am doing a slow taper from 15 mg (for a year) and have done lots of research.

To greatly lessen any wd symptoms it is much kinder and necessary to let the neurotransmitters readjust to go very slowly.  Some say 10% every 2, 3 or 4 weeks to be effective and I certainly would NEVER go any faster than this.  Some folk report getting symptoms of wd from this even, but the key is, that should you have any symptoms to stay at the dosage you are on until they subside.

So to agree with you, YES, go back to 22.5 and remain there for at least 2 weeks (or better 4 weeks after this unpleasant episode), and only when you feel stable, reduce 10% ... I will put an e-mail address below that explains this method, however the moderator sometimes removes any posts that contain other e-mail addresses, but I'm hoping it will be put back on.

Wishing you well, and try not to worry yourself too much as you WILL inprove within a few days once back on ... then be very kind to yourself, take it easy.

Wishing you well.

C 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.