Gastritis / nausea desperation.

Posted , 5 users are following.

In a previous post I talked about having non stop symptoms from gastritis and I also have a hiatal hernia.

Recently I've felt a lot of 'phlegm' in the back of my throat which stays right at the top and constantly makes me gag. Along with that I suffer from constant nausea no breaks throughout the day I feel like I could vomit any second.

I don't get heartburn with my gastritis... so I avoid taking gaviscon as that can stick at the back of my throat and make me feel more sick.

I've had 1 endoscopy in july, 2 doctors have written to the hospital in the last 2 months saying I need to be seen by gastro urgently to just be told that gastro don't class me as an emergency so I won't be seen again until april next year. Whenever I go to a&e I'm turned away because my bloods come back fine. But sometimes I'm in so much pain and feel so sick I go dizzy and pass out then panic so always take myself to the hospital just incase.

I'm insanely desperate for ANY advice anyone can give me. I haven't been able to work or do anything in the last year and I'm only 20.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are describing two sets of symptoms here. Gastritis is probably due to excess acid. I'm assuming they've tested you for H-Pylori?

Excess acid is best dealt with by using a PPI like omeprazole.

The phlegm and gagging are due to reflux which you need to control with the lifestye measures:

Lose weight if necessary, avoid over-filling your stomach by eating little and often. Avoid tight clothes. Avoid exercise that cramps the stomach after food. Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and bed and raise the head of your bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

• Posted

I was tested for h pylori and it was negative. I've been ob ppi's for a year and they don't change my symptoms whatsoever... currently on 80mg pantoprazole daily. I've tried ranitidine instead and no difference.

Everything you have just suggested I've done for at least 6 months or more. Changed diet, sleep raised no tight clothing tried to lose weight and have. Absolutely nothing is working for me and I don't understand why...

• Posted

Hi Barrets. I have gastritis too. I have endoscopy yesterday. Was horrible and I gagged a lot also left with pain in back from that. Wind type pains. results were as follows.

Hiatus Hernia sliding length 3cm within b that being between stomach and eesophagus , Gastritis : mild erythermatous/exudative with no bleeding within. There is no lesion seen in the oesophagus mid oesopageal biopsies taken to exclude eosinophilic oesopaghitis. Mild gastritis seen CLO test done. 

In all lovely but at least no malignancies or sign of barrets but is e of e worse if test is positive?

apparently this causes swallowing issues and it could be a food allergy. Obviously my thinking that bread might be an issue might be right.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.