PCOS - doubtful

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS in July 2014, but me and my husband have been trying to conceive for a year and a half now. I was first prescribed Metformin but they did nothing, after 3 months on that i was then prescribed Chlomid which helped bring my hormone levels down but by not a lot. After being on a 3 month waiting list after that for the Ovarian Drilling operation i was scheduled in for the operation in July this year. It has now been a couple of months since the op, and my hormone levels have come down immensley. However i've been suffereing with really low self esteem, i keep thinking that we are never going to conceive and its hitting me really hard now. Just wondering if anyone else has suffered with this and how they dealt with it? I have ovulated twice now since the operation (which i wasn't doing since April 2014) and have 1 more month on Chlomid. if nothing happens the hospital will re-assess me and put me forward for IVF. Just looking for some advice if anyone has dealt with this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun I also have pcos as well as type 1 diabetes have been ttc for 10 months but had clinics to go to for my diabetes before we got the ok to try and get pregnant and also just feel so doubtful see other ppl pregnant and just think that will never be me! I know ppl say think positive but it's hard! Am not over weight exercise and eat healthy. So there's nothen else I can do. I have an appointment with fertility clinic in November but feels like all I do is sit and wait for appointments then disappointed things move so slowly when I go to them.

I know it's hard but I find not thinking about it when possible and keeping busy makes me feel better and try to think it will happen it's just going to take time ... I wish u all the best and hope you get there soon!

X

• Posted

Hi, do you mind me asking how old you are? I'm only 22 but I don't want to be an old first time mum which is another thing I'm finding hard tI get my head around. I'm the same as you, I eat healthy and do exercise and since the operation I've been loosing more weight. 

When im at work or busy at home I'm fine, it's when I'm on my own or see lots of babies that's when it hits me. 

thank you for yI ur help, just a bit of advice like this goes a long way.

all the best x

• Posted

Hi becky not at all am 26 i have been with my husband for coming up to 8years and got married last November so coming up to a year. We didn't know I had pcos so we jut thought let's wait till we are married and start a family we always new we wanted a big family too. But had no idea how hard it would be to get pregnant. I wish I had know I would of came off the pill years ago and took a chance that it might happen stright away.

I don't want to be an old mam but just can't see me getting pregnant any time soon am just praying I will get put on some meds soon can I ask how long it was or how you got put on medication to help ovulation?

I agree tho it is so hard to see others with baby's and bumps all the time all my friends on fb are around my age and every1 is pregnant or had a baby or even two by now!

My mam keeps telling me to stay positive and you never know I could have twins haha we have twins in our family my grans sisters...now that would be amazing haha

But I totally get where your coming from but 22 you will still be a young mam if you get pregnant in the next week month year smile I wish you all the best!

Xx

• Posted

How is your husband coping with all of this?

I've been married for a year now, we started trying in April and got married in June last year. My husband was never very keen on having children until we lost his mum, since then a family is all he wants. 

I wasnt diagnosed until October last year, the doctors put me on Metformin but they didn't help at all. I was on them until I had an appointment with the fertility clinic which was in April. My consultant put me on Chlomid to help bring my hormone levels down, and put me on a waiting list for Laproscopic Ovarian Drilling. It was a 3 month waiting list, I had it at the end of July. It definitely helped bring my hormone levels down, they were 74 when i first started and now they are 48 so big difference. Since the operation I have ovulated 3 times, which is a good sign but nothing else is happening. I have an appointment with the fertility clinic in November if I dont fall preganant before then. i would definitly reccommend going on Chlomid and ask to be put on the waiting list for the operation. I didn't have a good experience after the op as I had infections in my wounds, but it is definitly worth it!

Hope this helps, and gives you a bit of advice with fertility clinics.

Hopefully soon we will both get some good news!! xx

• Posted

Hi thanks again for your replies and info lovely to have someone to talk to. My husband is fine with it and is being very positive about things he's like that tho always looks on the bright side. He has had tests done on his swimmers which we are waiting on results. Our appointment is on 3rd of Nov so we are just waiting to see what they say I am going to ask for chlomid do you think they can decide then and there and do me a percription or will it take a few visits I just really want to be trying or doing somthing if u know Wat I mean at the min the waiting game is what am finding the hardest!

Yes if I can go on op list I will also ask for that I am willing to do whatever it takes! It will be so worth it in the end!

I hope you get a positive soon if you are ovulating is just got to be a matter of time now! Fingers crossed for you!

X

• Posted

It is nice to get things off your chest, friends and family are so good for support but they don't fully understand as they aren't going through the same thing.

They should offer it to you straight away, especially if you say you've read a lot about it and think it will help. It's quite a common medicine to start the fertility treatment. I would read about the operation and see if it's something you would want to do, if it is then definitely suggest being out on the waiting list.

It is the waiting that's the hardest bit, that's when my mind works over time but one day it will happen. Just have to hope that one day is soon.

How long has it taken you to get an appointment? My fertility department by me are really good, they've given us so much help and hasn't taken long to get appointments or the operation. I think if you get w nice consultant it really helps.

• Posted

Thank you. Yes family are also understanding but like you say to speak to someone in same or very similar situation is good too. I also feel that I annoy my husband cos I keep talking about it alot can't help it cos it's always on my mind and it's my body so am always trying to read signs and work of what's going on lol!

We have been to one fertility appointment so far but that was just to see the nurse who was lovely and took lots of info etc.

We have had to wait 6 weeks till our next appointment which I know isn't too long but feels it when waiting. I only found out off going for a scan on ovaries that I had pcos a couple weeks ago as my gp referred me because of my periods as I handnt had one for 5 months (is came last week tho) so I havnt seen the fertility doctor yet but am hoping with me knowing i have pcos and getting bloods done and if my husbands tests come back normal then to get the fertility drugs is next step. I will also ask to go on list for the operation. So does this stop pcos or just for short term ? Also if you don't mind me asking is it a big op do you stay in over night or anything. I know I have to be extra careful with infection because of my diabetes so I dunno if they would be keen on me having it. I would go for it tho if possible as it would be more than worth it in my eyes.

Many thanks for reply again and hope things are going ok for you!

• Posted

I also feel the same as you, my husband had tests and his swimmers are fine so it's just me with the issue. As much as he's there for me and helps me with everything, I always find it hard as I feel like it's my fault.

The operation is a minor one but there are risks that come with it. They make 3 small incisions, they basically laser the ovaries and put wholes in to make you ovulate. Pcos will never go away but this operation will hopefully make the cysts smaller. I had a couple of issues with my operation as they found it hard to get to my right ovary so had to stay in as I was in a lot of pain. Had to go back every day for about 5 days as I was in so much pain. I then had an infection in one of the wounds and ended up staying in hospital for 6 days as the wound exploded. I hope this doesn't put you off, 1 in 10 get an infection unfortunately I was the unlucky 1 but 3 other ladies had the same operation as me on the same day and they went home the same day. I was just a big problem lol once the pain goes and the wounds heel you will be left with tiny scars. Mine are only noticeable as I had the infection and they had to make bigger incisions to get to the ovary. I would definitely read up about it and make sure it is something you would go for as I didn't really and I didn't know any risks until the day.

• Posted

Yeah they do their best to understand but like you because it's our body's it's hard to not wonder what's going on and why isn't it just like anyone else's why can't it just do what it's ment to do on its the own that's a few of the questions that's go through my head! Spesh with my diabetes as well am sure it's all linked! But when am in a good way of thinking I try and think this my body needs me to inject insulin as my pancreas does not make it (I came to terms with that and for 13 years have been fit and healthy ) so now I know my ovaries don't ovulate on there own and need help ( I am hoping the tablets will put that right or an op or both) then I will fall pregnant and Live happily ever after sort of speaking lol....but then on a bad day I can be like aww the waiting is killing me it's never going to happen nothen is going to work poor me! But I guss this could be with the hormones being un balanced with pcos.

I am defo going to say if the doctor thinks the op will benefit me to put me on the list.

Sorry to hear you had a rough time of it with the infection etc. Glad you are ok now tho and am sure it will be all worth it when you get your good news smile

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.