Blueberries

Posted , 6 users are following.

Did someone mention that we could eat blueberries ? What about the skins ?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I read on here somewhere that a fellow DD person had blueberries. I loved them in my former life but would not have them now. 1. pretty sure they have pips. 2. the skins. (If life is too short to skin a grape; it's got to be too short to skin a blueberry!!). It's all up to the individual at the end of the day; I have a friend from up north with our condition and she regularly eats berries for breakfast - strawberries, rasberries, blackberry compote-type mix......knows its silly (daughter a dietician and has told her not to have them!); but she still does it; and gets sick real often. But it is the choice of an adult and it has to be her making her own life decisions.MY life decisions are to avoid everything and anything that may cause a problem!!!
    • Posted

Thanks christine, I vaguely remember the blue berry thingy, but coudn't

remember if good guss or bad,  I will stick to peeling nectarines and

peaches and mangoes. Will confess, but only to you, in desperation, I

have peeled grapes, but not often. Plucking up courage to have some

beans on toast, taste buds getting quite demanding on this one.

Have you bit the bullet on this delicacy ???

• Posted

I eat blueberries. I avoid raspberies and have had a minor flareup this year after eating strawberries - very hard to resist when they are just sitting there in the veggie patch begging to be eaten! I also eat grapes and beans on toast. I have been living dangerously this autumn as our apple tree which only bears fruit every other year is groaning and I have been eating apples with skin! On the other hand I have given up sausages and avoid tough meat as this gives me twinges.
    • Posted

I had that major flare three weeks ago, and I have no idea what set it

off, an abcess in one of the pockets burst,, fotunately the shed load of antobiotics kept the infection in one place and I avoided theatre by 

a whisker.

You are one brave lady madge, I don't eat seeded fruit, but I do have the odd sausage, but no red meat 

• Posted

I will be avoiding strawbs next year! Did you have much warning that you had an abcess? My gastro has said I am a surefire candidate for surgery as I have a combo of diverticuli and horrendous adhesions from my hysterectomy. I have a lot of difficulty distinguishing the pain of a flare up from twinges caused by the adhesions pulling on my insides. It also gives me bladder pain. The gastro says diet has nothing to do with attacks but I just don't believe it.
    • Posted

Morning madge, It started with "THE PAIN" but not severe ,I was in the

middle of the North Yorks moors at the time, next day the pain increased

Wednesday i had subsided a tad ,so I drove 100 miles home, went to 

,bed ,took Paracetamol. and was wakened by the intense pain at 2-30 

a.m so I phoned for an ambulance, wated 6 hours before I was

looked at, and wasgiven Morphine  which removed the pain, and moved

upstairs, and "dripped UP" for 5 days So, I had a couple of days 

warning, and then the explosion.

You probably have scar tissue which is pulling on your bits, which 

doesn't help Can't they do a bit of Keyhole on you, and release the 

tissues that are keeping you knotted up?

It seems that diet has been ruled out as the cause of the pouches

forming, and we are all physcotic about what we eat, and it boils down

to mind over matter, maybe if we all ate everything that allegebly

causes flares, we would know for sure, and look for another answer.

• Posted

I don't believe the surgeon either!! Had first bout in 2006 after eating shed loads of strawberries. Two dieticians and several doctors later I will not eat strawberries, rasberries, blueberries, kiwi, passion fruit from garden...even grapes are out because of the skins and bananas I now quarter and remove the central seeded part ....yes, bananas have seeds; just look at a dried banana slice! That still leaves peeled apples, pears, melon, peaches, nectrines, and I guess oranges and grapefruit too though I find them a bit acidic. I also take the high strength Acidophilis from Holland and Barrett that I keep in the fridge; one a day now and never miss. Hope all goes well for you - the acidophilis have kept me well for near three months now; having had ten bouts in ten months up to the point I began taking them!!
    • Posted

I am sure they have it wrong about diet. They say that the cause of the pouches forming but that waw not the case with me. In 2001, just before we moved to France I was told after a barium enema I had in Brum that I had one or two small pouches nothing to worry about, totally normal for a woman of my age etc. I had had a high fibre diet for years and continued on it till last year when I had my first attack. When the gastro did the colonoscopy she said I had lots of pouches but all in one part of the colon so I would need about 15cm removed. The first attack came after a spell of taking painkillers for a motorbike accident but also after pigging out on fresh figs from our tree. But then I had ate the figs every year before with no problem plus dried ones throughout the year (I adore figs but have left them all for hubby this year).
    • Posted

I had a minor flare this year after our strawberry crop ripened. I did not eat any rasps or blackberries except as coulis( a sort of thin sauce we make here). Bluberry seeds seem less obvious somehow and don't seem to bother me. Second minor flare after the cherry toms ripened. I now deseed tomatoes. Skins seem ok and last winter I did eat a dried fig every now and again. I do get twinges in the left side from time to time but as they are often in the areaxof my hysterectomy scar it is hard to tell if it is the diverticuli playing up or just the adhesions pulling on them. The gastro agreed that it was impossible to tell for twinges but that at the first sign of any severe pain or fever I must go for blood tests and a cat scan. I am taking probiotics too as well as aloe vera juice
  • Posted

I have become aware that DD flare ups either follow or are associated with Crohns  disease flare ups for me.

I am on medication for the latter and while in remission I eat anything and everything especially Berry fruits and nuts because during flares my diet is severely restricted.

A case of making hay while sun shines I guess

Regards

Pete

• Posted

I thought we could not eat blueberries. I stopped eating them. I actually don't know what to eat anymore. Everything bothers me. I think it's my IBS also. I have not eaten right for a long time now. Don't have much appetite. I'm always sorecon the left side.

😕

Vivian

• Posted

Hi, how many flares do you have, ? Does the medication keep the 

pain at bay ,so that you are not aware if the nuts and berries are 

causing silent havoc?

J

• Posted

Morning, it could have been me saying that I eat blueberries and in fact not only raw but I also cook them down and make apple crumble with added berries as it's cooked down so much before I eat it.  Like others seeing all those fruits and not being able to eat anything especially as we're veggie makes it almost impossible to eat anything anymore.  But I do.  I test the waters every so often - onions in a stew but sweated down for a very long time before I continue with the receipe but other than that, steamed veggies before eating, peeled fruits such as apples etc.  I think I also have IBS or am at least lactose intolerant so switched to almond milk instead of milk after my 1st attack and that has made a huge difference.
    • Posted

I have cooked blackberries with apple but keep the berried fruit in a tied clean stocking or muslin bag; so get the flavour and not the pips; for cooking does not destroy a pip - just have a squish around and lay the cooked fruit on a piece of white kitchen paper towel - you will see the pips are all still there and in tact. As I said before; we are all adults and all make our own choices in life - so its your decision/gamble as to whether you go on eating seeds, nuts, pips, skins and wholegrains. But I am choosing the abstenance route; and no - I am not veggie but rarely eat meat. Quorn in fabulous!!!
    • Posted

Thanks Christine, I will have to look out for those nasty little seeds then.  What a nightmare this all is, totally sick of not being able to eat anything but I just crave some foods and I guess I take the risk.  Am going away soon for a couple of weeks and am hoping the doctor will give me some antibiotics just in case.  Has anyone else done anything like that before and had success with the GP providing them?  Bought myself some very high strength probiotics online the other day - must higher than H&B - and will begin taking those.  Do think they help a lot.
    • Posted

I read somewhere nuts are ok as long as they are very well chewed. I do eat them but chew them to a paste.
    • Posted

My G.P was quite happy to give me a supply of antibiotics, in case I felt

a flare, better to be in front of a flare, ,and not have the frantic call for

an ambulance.

• Posted

What is the strength laura, ? I am a firm believer in probiotic capsules,

will have to check H&B, to seeif there is a stronger one 

• Posted

Yes likewise though I've also read that they are seeds and should be soaked first before using / eating as this plumps them up.  You can read more about this in A.J's book (I don't think I can mention her name on here) but she recently released 2 veggie cookbooks (used to work with J.O.) and in there is a lot of info in there.  I haven't done it yet but need to as I make my own granola.  I think somewhere in one of the comments on here there was a mention about chewing food thoroughly.  I used to absolutely scoff my food but I've slowed down a lot and am chewing my food a lot more and think this helps a lot.
    • Posted

My H&B acidophilus have 20 billion friendly bacteria in each pill. the first ones I bought had 2 billion. My docotor always leaves me with just-in-case antibiotics.....if you get the pains and temperature at 10pm.....you need to start them at 10.02pm and not wait til morning. Tis chocolate I crave; not fresh fruit alas...!!! mind you, peeled ripe peaches, nectines, plums, melons and pears and scrumptiousness in a bowl. Think being away and eating out can be really hard......my gut cannot deal with spices and garlic; not an infection as when meds needed; just PAIN within a few hours of eating just a tiny amount. Seems garlic is the new salt, and is used in fish cakes, lemon chicken and even a lot of soups and gravy!!!.........problems at every turn!!
    • Posted

Totally agree about starting the meds ASAP which reminds me I must phone the doctor.  Glad you found the 20 million at H&B, I didn't see any so maybe they didn't have in stock when I was there which is why I ordered elsewhere.  I'm OK with some spices and garlic but as you say, eating out or away is always going to be a challenge.  P.S. I also crave chocolate smile

• Posted

I've now booked myself in for a GPs appointment and hope they will give me a prescription - fingers crossed.
    • Posted

I think garlic gives me some pain but I eat it because it is supposed to be a good prebiotic like other onion family members. I even eat half a clove sliced very thin,raw on top od cheese on toast. Raw it is supposed to be a natural antibiotic so hopefully it is knocking any bad bacteria on the head whilst providing food for the good ones! I love it so giving it up would be hard.
    • Posted

Yes I continue eating it because it's good for you and as you say, there aer some things I just can't give up.
    • Posted

No reason why not Laura, after all you will be saving them money, if you can stop it before the ambulance has to be called. . Plus, I feel 

reassured that I have the antbiotics to hand, just in case. Good luck ,you 

can do itrolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.