More Urolift questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

To Kenneth1955 and anyone else who has had the Urolift procedure done. I switched to a new Urologist who performs the Urolift procedure. His name is Dr. Andrew Hirsh from Jersey Urology Group, Somers Point, NJ. After 3 or 4 visits I am ready to have the Urolift procedure done on November 9th. When I have to pee right now its pretty intense trying to hold my urine until I hit the bathroom. "When you gotta go, you really gotta go if you know what I mean!". Then I have to hit the bathroom again a 1/2 hour to an hour later. It seems I never really have a lage pee that really emptys my bladder. My question: When the Urolift is completed (fully healed and functioning) does the intensity of having to pee become much lessened? (when you have to pee do you really have to go badly like before Urolift or is that pressure lessened just from having the Urolift done? Also, I drive a car for a living. I can manage a week off from work for the procedure. Do you thing I would be able to tolerate driving a car 1 week after the procedure? Any help from any experienced Urolift guys would really help. Thanks, Peter. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Peter.  Before I had my Uro-lift done I was on 2 meds and still had to get up 3 to 4 times a night. When I had to go I had to go but when I got there I had to force myself.  I had my Uro-lift done in April of this year.  The first week was the worst.  I had a catheter put in .  I have a problem peeing on demand.  Talking with my doctor he felt it was best because you do get some cloging.  It came out 2 days later and it did burn for the first 24 hours.  After that it was great.  By saturday I was sleeping all night no pills and peeing great.  I had 4 implants put in. They do not put a catheter in for the uro-lift but it is up to the doctor.  I am not a fan of them and that was the first one I have ever had but it was best at the time.  If you have read some of the other post some of the men that have had it done end up in the hospital because they can not pee.  It saves time and money having it put in while your asleep ( And Pain )  It's up to you.  With the catheter you don't have to get up to pee you can rest.  My erine was clear after 24 hours.  Also with driving I drive the next day.  My doctor told me not to drive for long drive for 4 weeks.  I have a daughter in GA and I went 6 weeks later and had no problem.  Stopped 2 times to pee and get gas.  Take care and good health  Ken       
    • Posted

Ken, thanks for the real life information. Nothing like hearing from someone who has been through it. The info on having a catheter makes a lot of sense. I'd rather have it put in while I'm knocked out for sure. Can't imagine trying to shove that in a day after having 4 rods pieced through your dick tub!!! Thanks again. I'll send you a follow up later in November when I'm settled down. Pete
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply.  Yes it better to have it but in after they do the clips.  Going in hurts much worse then coming out.  Take care and just relax and drink alot of water after  Ken
  • Posted

Hi peter

I had Urolift done 4 weeks ago. The main reasons were Nocturia, (voiding 4-6 times a night) retention, frequent and sometimes urgent need to urinate, even small amounts. I also wanted to get off the meds (Flomaxtra)

Procedure was done at 2pm on 15th September, and a catheter was put in while I was under GA. It was taken out at midnight with little discomfort. Apart from bleeding for 24-36 hours, and stinging when urinating the procedure was pretty straight forward. I was allowed to go home after 2 successful voids, which was 8am the following morning.

I had a 60gram prostate with no enlarged median lobe so was a good candidate for Urolift my Urologist said.

The first 2 weeks the frequency and stinging were still there, but gradually improved each day. The flow however was much stronger, as were the amounts i voided. Week 3 was better again, and now, after a month I only get up once or sometimes twice a night, and I expect in time this will improve even more The exception is if I have a beers after dinner, which is to be expected.

Another thing I noticed in the recovery period was sitting on a hard surface was quite uncomfortable, and gave me feeling I needed to pee. I made myself a donut cushion which helped a lot. Driving was no issue

So after 4 weeks, Urolift appears to be a success, and I would recommend it providing you meet the criteria...

1) Prostate under 80g

2) No enlarged median lobe

3) no high bladder neck or overstretched bladder

I had private health insurance and my total out of pocket expenses were $159. And most importantly I am finally off Flomaxtra. Peeing like a teenager again , no retrograde, and sexual function , if anything, better than before.

Good luck Peter

Mal

• Posted

Mal, thanks for sharing all of your experiences. Like you I am hoping for some good to come out of this Urolift procedure. That sounds great just to pee with a more normal stream. You stayed overnight? My doc says I will be worked on and sent home the same day. I'll see. Plus my doc had to cancel my Nov 9th date for personal reasons. So now I'm scheduled for November 30th. 
  • Posted

Hi Peter, I am scheduled to have the Uro-lift procedure in two days. My urologist says I am the perfect candidate. I am 65 with an enlarged prostate. Bladder retention (250 - 500cc) and weak stream are my primary symptoms. I get up maybe once each night to urinate and go maybe six times during the day.  I have been on meds for 8 years--Fanasteride (Proscar - stopped 4 years ago) and Doxazosin (Flomax - still taking.) My expectations of this procedure are that my symptoms will remain the same and that I will be able to go off of the Doxazosin. Beyond this, my hope is that my symptoms will actually improve. I will provide updates as I go through the process in hopes of helping others out there who are considering this procedure.
    • Posted

Bill, hope all works out for you and you find much inprovement over time. I was scheduled for Urolift Nov 9th but doc had to cancel and move my procedure up to November 30th. At least its after Thanksgiving and all that turkey feast! lol.
    • Posted

Bill.  Have a catheter after.  It is the best for you.  More of the guys that have it have trouble peeing and end up having it done after. This way your out and don't feel it going in.  Have your dr put it in for 2 days.  You will be glad you did.  Ken 
  • Posted

Just a quick update. After 8 weeks I'm still getting up 1-2 times a night to void, so it hasnt improved since 4 weeks, but I'm still happy as it was 4-6 times before Urolift. My Urologist said it could take up to 6 months for bladder to recover. I have an ultrasound this week to check on retention.

Good to be off the meds finally (Flomaxtra)

Mal

• Posted

It will take some time All men heal in there own time..Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.