Lansoprazole how to stop for gastroscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Help panicing I have appointed for gastroscopy on Nov 12 and can't  take Lansoprazole for a least 2 weeks before, I have been taking it for the last 12 months, how can I just stop ? Feeling really scared. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The doctors usually tell you that you must take it forever because otherwise your symptoms return.  I find this was rubbish.  Yes if you stop taking it you get a few days where your stomach feels bad, but once you have gone through those few days you might feel totally fine and wonder why you were taking it in the first place. The stomach needs to adjust to having the acid doing as it wants again, that is why it feels funny for a bit. Not necessarily because it is needed or helpful.  I bit thebullet and stopped taking mine altogether and found I am totally fine without it at all. The endoscopy will confirm if you have a problem, mine told me there was nothing wrong. Without it the doctors would try to convince you to take this blessed stuff for the rest of your life.
  • Posted

I was on Lansoprozole after having a gastric sleeve. After a year I asked by my surgeon why I was still taking is and was told that I didn't need to take it at all as I had no symptoms.  I stopped taking them immediately and felt no after effects at all and you do not need to take it forever.  It depends on what you are taking it for and your doctor must be able to advise you as it can be taken for different reasons.  There is no need to tail off Lansoprozole at all. It is not a medicine that requires this such as antidepressants where the withdrawal symptoms may be severe.  Before you go for your  endoscopy the surgeon will advise you whether to take the medicine or not and if not when to stop it. He/she will then let you know after your diagnosis whether you need to take it again and for how long. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your help not panicing so much now
  • Posted

Hi the main thing is don't panic stress will cause your heart burn more when I stopped taking the lanz I had an awful wk head ache lethargic whole body ached I had terrible heart burn but I took gaviscon to help I then learned that apples were good so would eat and apple and that helped and also refreshers I have a pack by my bed also when you started suffering had you been going throu a stressful time or relationship break up job loss etc if so they chances are that is what causing your problem mine was a breakup and then thought of losing my home .i was on them for 4 years they caused over problem since I been off them my other problem have got better and learnt relaxation techniques hope this helps
    • Posted

Thanks for your help Joan I will try not to panic, mine started with menopause doctor says could be stress get lots of reflux at night but main problem is feeling sick all the time especially in the morning just like morning sickness and the lanz made that feeling go away. Will try apples and get some refreshers thanks 
  • Posted

I agree with the other postings - but it is true that your stomach acid can "peak" once you stop taking lansoprazole before it then resettles and goes back to normal production of acid. So you may have a few issues with excess acid - but nothing (I have found) that having gaviscon to hand can't sort out. It might also help to cut out any very acidic foodstuffs or drinks too. But then again, you may find you are completely okay. I got a bit of acid - and for a couple of days some nausea. Also found it was better not to eat breakfast and then not to do anything that involved bending over for a while as that brought on some heartburn. We are all different - and have different stomach issues. I strongly agree with the posting that doctors tend to want to keep you on these drugs. I am down to one 15mg a week with no problems and intend to stop completely next week. Its true that you could come off them completely with no problems... but I felt a bit anxious about this so opted for the gradual cutting back method. Be warned that the drug companies obvoiusly push their wares...and my doctor still thinks I should take them... I hope the gastroscopy goes well and you get good sensible advice afterwards. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.