teeth problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there has anyone experienced extreme teeth clattering or grinding whilst taking effexor...its driving me mad and im worried for my teeth.....any suggestions gratefully received..thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes! I have horrible clenching that's caused worsening TMJ problems for me. Sometimes my jaw hurts so bad I can't eat! I've always had popping in my jaw, but it never actually hurt until my clenching and grinding got worse on Effexor sad 
    • Posted

oh no thats awful......thanks for replying my teeth grinding is driving me mad must be the effexor then...good luck
  • Posted

Yes, grinding at night!  I have horrible bone loss and gum recession, apparently from grinding.  I didn't realize that is was likely from all the years I was on psych meds, the last 12 being on Effexor.  Now I'm really mad!  I'm also mad that none of my doctors over the years, who kept renewing my scripts, ever discussed whether I should still be on this drug!  I am finally seeing the forest for the trees!
  • Posted

Hi there! Soz for late reply! As a dental nurse who takes venlafaxine/effexor I totally understand! I had these syptoms and totally relate! I have been there with the chattering and the grinding was happening in my sleep. I had my dentist make me a soft night guard to protect my teeth. It works well. I recommend you ask ur dentist to make u one. Sone experts say u can quit the habit of grinding in a month by wearing it! Hope my suggestions help you! From mo in ipswich x

• Posted

Yes, I now have a night guard as well.  Just disconcerting what problems these meds can cause, and I had no clue it was due to Effexor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.