Severe Anxiety causing unwanted obsessive thoughts about my relationship...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please can anyone share any light on this?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

1. By forcing yourself to think those types of thoughts, you're likely to cause yourself distress. But if you continue to think those thoughts for a long enough period of time, the thoughts themselves will become boring and your mind will want to think of other things.

2.  Unwanted thoughts are the result of the way you respond to them.You have to be careful, and try your best not to react where you feel shame or get upset

3.  Writing the thoughts out rather than trying to force them away.

4.  Learn to fight the compulsion as best you can.

• Posted

That is really helpful thank you. Certainly is the way i respond to them...normally panic! I have tried the writing and it helps but very quickly followed by another.....I very much seem to spend my entire thinking on this...very much from the minute i wake up to the time i go to bed.

I think i do control the siutation well but feel with the support and ideas you have given will help more. Very hard to switch off and undertand how anxiety can cause such distress.

• Posted

All anxious people dismiss their gut feelings as anxiety too. Im mot saying you are but dont negate feeling if something insode if you feels the relationship is not for you either.
    • Posted

I can see how that happens....but really doesn't feel that way....and when my anxiety lifts I think very differently.
  • Posted

Hello H.Thomas

It's a common symptom of anxiety disorder to have unwanted thoughts. Anxiety is the kind of disorder that causes negative thinking, and inability to control undesireabe thoughts. The good thing about your case is you know that they are caused by your anxiety. Therefore you have control of what to do once you thought about it. The best thing to do is to distract yourself. You know the thoughts aren't true so you shouldn't dwell with it. Just ignore it do something else and eventually it will go away. 

• Posted

hi i do the same its part and parcel of anxiety focusing on the worst possible outcome i have a wonderfull partner and obsess as to why he even bothers with someone like me my pychiatrist says its part of the anxiety intrusive thoughts are there but arnt always true hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.