Can anything stop the flatulance?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with Diverticulitis having had several very painful flare ups, a colonoscopy confirmed it.  I was just told to eat a high fibre diet and drink plenty of fluids but this still didn't stop another flare up.  Now my GP has given me laxatives, which so far seems to help but the downside is that it is causing awful wind that smells so bad that I am starting to avoid going out.  Has anyone else experienced this and if so, do you have any advice.  It really is so embarrassing and having a real negative effect on my daily life.  

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I also have suffered several diverticulitis attacks.  My doc said the same thing...Eat a high fiber diet.  He also told me to take Miralax.  This is a mild slow acting laxative that hasn't given me any problems like you are experiencing.  I suppose we all have our own unique digestive system, but it might be worth a try.  Hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.  You're right, everyone's digestive system is different.  I think I need to go back to my GP.  I just thought assumed it was a choice between the pain or the embarrassment of wind and wondered if I should avoid certain foods.  Makes sense i'll need to do some tweaking, thanks. 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon

I tried different things and finally found out that prune juice helps a lot. I take a couple of glasses every other day. I avoid flare ups with clear liquids but the agonizing pain on the left side seems to always be there. I use a hot water bottle almost every night.

Vivian

• Posted

Agonising pain all the time is not normal! You need to see a gastroenterologist fast.
  • Posted

Hello sharon welcome, don't worry about "the wind" it needs to come out ,as

it will cause you pain if you keep it in.Don't stop going out, if it happens ,just

walk on,Every one farts anywhere and everywhere, it's a natural function.It's

not special to d.d sufferers. smile

• Posted

Thanks Jacqueline, I wish I could not worry about, but seriously it's so bad that I hate going anywhere.  People comment not realising it's me and I can't stop it even if I tried.  Going to have to look at my diet (maybe cut out meat) and re-visit GP.  I've applied for a new job and am now terrified of working in close proximity to people.   I don't understand how suddenly my body can produce so much gas.
    • Posted

Hi sharon, stressing about it could probably make it worse.

Start checking your diet by eating one product at a time ,know this could

be tedious, but if you find the culprit ,job well done. Maybe you are not

chewing your food well enough, or eating too fast ,and taking down

lots of air.

One good thing is ,no -one knows it's you, which is usually the case

in a crowd.

You will have to make a written list of the products you eat most of

and start with the main item.

Maybe a trip to a Herbal shop like H&B could help, The staff are

quite knowledgeable  and helpful.

Don't worry so much

• Posted

I found giving up dairy except for yoghurt (and hard cheeses which I do eat sparingly ) reduced episodes of wind considerably.  Just a thought.  😉
    • Posted

Thanks Konnie, that's helpful.  I'll give anything a go.  I've given up alcohol and carbonated drinks, but that hasn't helped.  Was thinking of giving up eating meat.  Will def give up the diary to see if any improvement.  What a nightmare. 
  • Posted

I also found that once I stopped eating red meat I still had gas but the smell was gone. Hubby still eats red and he could make a skunk vomit...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.