Shoulder pain diagnosed as calcific tendinitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I have had ongiong pain in my left shoulder for about 5 years now. Recently the pain has become excruciating, especially at night. Following an x-ray I have been told I have calcific tendinitis. I am waiting for an appointment to have the calcium deposits remove via a guided ultrasound - but I have no idea how long this will take. After searching for more info on it I have found that there's not that much info out there about it. Has anyone had this done, and were the results successful. The pain is so intense and it's becoming almost impossible to sleep. Any good news stories would be much appreciated!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alilouc

i have the same as you.it goes through phases of being bad

a few years ago i lost the use of my right arm as the pain was soo bad i had it injected which wasnt painfull just a wierd feeling

i was offered the same as you but was told that it would just come back because the body is trying to repair itself ... i went to physio & did the exercises like they said but that was after a painrelief injection ... i am a bit better the pain dosnt bother me so much & i get some sleep

its up to you if you have the procedure done

but could i suggest the way i did it first it may save you from having the opp

please let me no your thoughts

Dawn x

• Posted

Hi dawn37202

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you have some relief from the pain! I don't honestly think people realise how painful it is!

As my condition has been undiagnosed for a number of years, i've done various rounds of physio - with very little effect.

Just spoken to ultrasound and they have informed me that it wil be 2-3 months until I can have injection/aspiration. I have a vey physical job and this is really getting me down. I don't want to keep taking such strong pain meds - currently on codeine - for too long. My only hope is that someone cancels so I can get seen earlier. I definitely feel like I need the procedure to get back to normality.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Alilouc

which hospital have they booked you in?

because the Nuffield Orthopaedic Hospital in Oxford do the op... Maybe they could fit you in earlier

i no the pain you are in & it is not good... please try & see if you can get in the other hospital any sooner ... i hope you get sorted sooner

Dawn x

• Posted

Hi there Ali, I have the condition too. I think mine is linked to my under active thyroid, but that's another story. I was on Amitriptiline 45 mgs a day, which really helped. I had a procedure called Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy last Summer in a private hospital. It worked really well for a while, but then the pain has come back, but not as bad. I am taking parracetamol at the moment. It is a painful treatment to have. It is not available on the NHS. There is a treatment called Lavage, which sort of 'flushes' out the joint. This is available on the NHS and I am going to talk to my GP about that. I had steroid injections years ago for it which helped a lot, but steroids destroy tissue and I don't think are very good for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.