Six Weeks Post Op! Now what?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I hit six weeks post op (lapidus on left foot) yesterday. Finally! I'm realizing, though, that the hard part might actually just be starting.

I'm still not able to walk other than a few very hobbled steps and then I need my crutches. I'm still relying mostly on my knee scooter.

My foot is very sensitive. A lot of tingling but still numb in places, too. Honestly, it still looks really beat up -- I have a hard time liking at it. My toes are still swollen and my big toe and second toe are completely stiff and don't move easily. I have to consciously think about moving any of my toes. It takes a few seconds of thinking before I can move them.

I've started physical therapy -- doing well except for toe exercises.

My doctor instructed me to stay in the boot and try walking for four or five minutes at a time followed by rest.

Does all of this sound about right for this part of the post op journey? Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself but I thought I would be more mobile at this point and I'm really scared the stiffness in my toes, especially isn't going to go away.

In another six weeks I'm supposed to be vacationing at the beach and I'm worried that I won't be ready.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

R

you should be fine in 6 weeks time,

i had a bilateral lapidus and was walking (very slowing) after 6 weeks.

try and lose the knee scooter.

my feet were like salamis with sausages for toes, but cold water soaks and compression socks worked.

when you start moving, you'll never think you'll be able to get anywhere that fast, but, when you look back at the end of the week you'll find progress has been brilliant.

in this game, it's one step forward, 2 backwards, then it reverses.

early days.

caroline

• Posted

Thank you, Caroline! Very helpful and encouraging. I guess its time to say goodbye to my trusty scooter. (Well, until March when I have the right foot done)
  • Posted

Its normal 3 mos. My toes and foot are still stiff I started 10 min. In my sneaker twice a, day moved to 3x then 4x for 10min then 15 min. Then fully, take your time doing a few minutes in your sneaker then back to your boot then gradually fully in your sneaker, 10 min. walks in your sneaker, walk slow, slower the less the limp, heel toe, heel toe it is along process, the best we can do is physical therapy and keep up everyday with our exercises! And elevate and ice, someone also mentioned compression hosiery 15-20 mm with the toes out helped with the foot getting swollen, good luck in your recovery,
  • Posted

you're ahead of me I'm 5 weeks so I can't really say how it'll be for you but from what I've read not seems pretty normal.my doctor told me 3 months until normal shoes full time and its a full year until its completely normal again.8 weeks always seems to be a turning point for people too from what I've seen on this site.are you doing physical therapy at all? if so it should really help with stiffness and they can help you improve your walking I'm sure.hang in there and it'll get better!
  • Posted

I am on week 7. I am hobbling like a disjointed puppet. My foot is rather swollen, mostly in the evening and still red and a bit bruised. It is very sensitive but I can tolerate a men's athletic shoe and can walk. We'll sort of, it's more of a shuffle, kind of feels like my foot forgets to keep up and I must concentrate especially on steps. My progress feels slow but I'm an inpatient person and I miss outdoor activities and my horses. Follow your doctor's advice, mine gave me the same short attemps followed by elevating and ice. Continue to take baby steps, I'm certain you will begin to walk without your crutches soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.