Anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I've just been told buy docs I have anxiety been like this for weeks know been prescribed with antidepressant been on 9 days at point know we're can't cope don't know if it's side effects or what feel dizzy wen stand and walk round get palpitations feel scared wen on own head feels pressure a can't cope any help x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That sounds horrible, Kirsty, I can understand how upsetting this must be. 

Antidepressants can make you feel light headed so it could be the tablets. Do you take them last thing at night? That might help.

another reason might be that the dizziness is due to pressure in your head and the most likely cause of that is sinus problems. Very, very common and you wouldn't believe how a small flare up in your sinuses can affect the rest of you. First time it happened to me I was convinced it was mega serious. 

A few things you can try: Cut out all dairy products. Drink lots of water. Inhale steam ( bowl of very hot water, towel over your head to make a tent over the bowl and breathe) Make a warm compress with a face flannel soaked in hot water, wring it out and hold it over your face, especially your cheekbones, forehead and around your nose. If these help, it's most likely sinuses. I get sinusitis if I eat any dairy produce except cheese, and I can only use skimmed milk in tea. 

Try the above and if no improvement post again and we'll all try to help. 

• Posted

What's the anti-depressant name? Some can give side effects of low blood pressure which leads to giddiness.

They take a long time to kick in to relieve any anxiety or depression but side effects can happen early on.

Talk to your doctor about the side effects and they may swap it to something else or lower your dose. Don't suffer in silence, as the doctors need to know early on so they can change it early.

• Posted

Av been put on citalopram been on for 10 days know don't feel any different feel totally on edge all time dizzy they say it take few weeks to work is that right shall I keep taking a hate being like this
    • Posted

Yes, they do take several weeks, up to 6 weeks to work. That is because the way the brain works it needs to be almost like layering the drug onto the receptors which help relieve anxiety and depression.

Like I mentioned though, any side effects this early are due (usually) to the drug and I suspect you need to change from the Citalopram.

Do call your doctor or go back and discuss the situation. They might change it to a less side effect one for you.

The one you are on is a SSRI and there are many on the market that are similar and may not affect you with bad side effects.

Personally I had to try 4 different ones till I found Effexor worked best for me.

Hang in there, it DOES get better, believe me. Just mention it to the doctor though, ok?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.