Sjogrens and ADD

Posted , 9 users are following.

Around the same time I was diagnosed with Sjogrens; I was also diagnosed with ADD. And I have been taking adderal for it. But, I have been wondering could the symptoms I have for ADD (restlessness, unable to focus, forgetfullness, and confusion) be from Sjogrens? My rhuemotologist is thinking about changing things around. But, I wanted to see if anyone else has had simliar a experiences; before I start messing with diffrent medications. Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Wow, you have a lot to deal with at once!  Since Sjogrens is auto-immune, one likely culprit could be another auto-immune issue (they tend to come in multiples in some people). So, have you been tested for Pernicous Anaemia and Coeliac Disease? Or other auto-immune conditions that could have similar symptoms?

See if your rheumotologist has answers or will test you for some other conditions before you do make such changes and take new medication...that's my advice. My own low B12 made my life so difficult and I do believe it could be behind your symptoms, too...but there are other possible causes, too.  Especially if you feel like you didn't suffer from ADD when you were young...  Even if you did, be sure it's all ruled out, for your own sake. 

Good luck to you - HUGS!

• Posted

Thank you for you advice! And I have had so many tests done, so I don't know if I was ever tested for those.
  • Posted

I definitely used to have something I often refered to as "foggy brain." I had trouble remembering things and sometimes processing my thoughts. I also noticed some of the side effects of your drug can mimic some of the symptoms of Sjogrens, such as dry mouth and Raynauds phenomena (which I had, maybe still do). If you are absolutely sure you have Sjogrens, then ask your doctor if your meds might negatively impact your disease. In general I try to stay away from medications when possible because they are chemical and I know my body can't handle much since I have sjogrens. Just try to eat and live as healthy as possible. I can expand on that if you have questions. Best of luck in figuring it all out and so sorry you have to deal with Sjogrens.
    • Posted

Thank you! I definitely have Sjogrens. And I feel better knowing it might not all be the ADD; because the adderall doesn't seem to do much.
    • Posted

Hi, I was reading through this thread and I'm 43 years old, have had IBS for nearly 20 years, my gall bladder removed from gall stones, scholisis of the spine with degenatrive arthritis in my lower spine, diagnosed with ADHD about 4 years ago that I take aderall for and recently tested positive for Sjorgren's and started taking 200mg plaquenil, I have an identical twin who has had very active chron's disease since we were children. I'm not a fan of medicine and I really want alternative ways for treatments to my issues and strongly believe diet plays a big role in many ailments. I started getting cysts on my spleen, really frozen feet, aches and pains throughout my joints and body and have always had sinus infection and allergy and ear issues. Any recommendations you have for other than medicine would be very helpful! Thanks for listening! 😊
    • Posted

Hi JeanBean,

Since I don't know if you've already altered your diet, first thing I would suggest is staying away from wheat, dairy, sugar (particularly white sugar), and all derivatives of those items. I would also recommend that you search online for some books that address autoimmune disease through the use of the Paleo diet. There are also numerous Paleo cookbooks and also people who blog online if you have access to the Internet. It was not easy in the beginning but it has been very much worth it for me. Also recently I noticed that I actually crave my healthy foods and look forward to eating them. I also have family members who have variations of autoimmune disease and some of them who have chosen to change their diets and eat healthier have also had beneficial effects. There is so much information that a person needs to know and it can feel very overwhelming. So, I'm happy to answer any of your questions although I'm sure it will take a while to answer everything. By the way, since this is an all natural approach there is no need to stop your medications until your doctor says it's OK to do that. If possible, work with your docto as you change your diet. It is very important that you feed your body the nutrients that it needs and that it is getting the right kind of fats as well. For me, not having to deal with the bloating, fatigue, and joint pain has been the most obvious improvement. I'm not super strict with my diet, so I still have room for improvement and maybe alleviate some of my symptoms that are still present, but mild, such as occasional dry eyes, dry mouth. I'm happy to report that I am much improved in this area too, even though it still strikes from time to time. No meds, thank goodness I haven't had to yet, and I hope I never need to. Best of luck!

• Posted

Fantastic! This is very helpful and I'm going to look into it! I already don't eat dairy but have never looked into autoimmune diets or Paleo, only IBS. Thanks again! 😊
  • Posted

I agree with both the previous replies. Many autoimmune conditions do have similar symptoms and if you read the leaflet with any medication you can see how some might actually cause those same effects.  I had to stop using two basic hypertension drugs and currently only take a paediatric dose while investigations continue. I do feel better when I use less drugs and cosmetics but sometimes short term medication is necessary. It is worth trying Folic Acid to boost the blood cells when necessary.     
  • Posted

Hi Liv,

unfortunately I am very familiar with ADD. The comment that you made about "Just being diagnosed with ADD " makes me wonder.. have you been living with these type of concentration problems all your life? What kind of student were you in school? ADD presents itself pretty early in life and takes time to diagnose. Parents and teachers are usually the first to notice. The brain fog we get with SS could certainly mimic ADD. Excellent website for more info under CHADD (Children and Adults with ADD). Also, it takes awhile to find the right medication in the right dosage for each individual with ADD. If you have never needed ADD meds to function before I have to question if you really need them now. When I started taking the Hydroxychloroquine my brain fog problems improved. But it takes time. My advice is to treat one thing at a time Start with the SS it takes at least 6 months or more to really start getting big benefits from the Hydroxychloroquine. I take 400mgs a day and started in August of 2014 I feel better than I have in years but the progress was slow. If you focus on the SS only for now you don't complicate matters with different meds.( Adderall has it's own list of side effects). Good luck and feel better,

Sally 

• Posted

Sally can you eat steak  or chicke????I eat and get mucous in my throat do not getit....Alos if my stress level is better do things improve...dry mouth????I canhandle anything yet my throat gets tight also

haveyou tried salive meds////??? DO THEY WORK????AND WHEN I WAKE UP LEG PAIN ND WRIST PAIN ?????NOT DURING THE DAY.Im starving and want to eat everything...Im frustrated and dont know what i can eat..n ICE CREAm????

• Posted

I've had that too since this all began, though I think the anxiety this condition provokes may be resposible for these symptoms except maybe the restlessness which began before most other symptoms of SS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.