Recently started Amitriptyline

Posted , 4 users are following.

On my 3rd week of this drug, 1st week, 10 mg at night & started to feel erratic body tremors at rest.  2nd week, 20 mg at night & body tremors increased significantly throughout night while body is at rest but by morning my hands were shaking so much I could barely hold on to anything. I took the liberty of going back to 10 mg/night and improved. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this. Tried Nortriptyline prior to Amitripyline & omg, what a trip it took me on thru night, thought i was having a heart attack. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If I were you, I would go back to my GP and say what is happening to me.

My GP (he is now retired) said one could get dependant on this drug. I wish I knew this at the beginning, I did ask this question but was told no, so I took it. This first GP has long passed away. I then had another GP that I was seeing and ask the same question, I got the same answere. It was not until I was speaking to an old family friend that tod me it was. I then change my GP, it was this one that said I could get dependant, it was what I felt all along, when I tried coming off I had a panic attack. It was a side effect of this drug. You can get side effects taking some tablets and there are also side effect coming off. I believe some doctors do not know how these medications work.

• Posted

Hi Marie43202

I think you should go back to your GP

it sounds like the drug dosnt agree with you,iv been on the same drug for 8 months without any problems like you are getting .... i get dizzy spmetimes & i get very tired but im tired anyway due to Fibromyalgia

please go to your GP asap just to put your mind at rest

Regards

Dawn x

• Posted

Hello Dawn & Bernadette,

thank you, did speak to my GP, she said its ok to go down a dose, never seemed alarmed about symptoms other than it takes a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to the drug? Go figure. Anyways, I know my body better than them and I will take as needed as I am definitely worried about the long term effects, particularly when withdrawing.  Thank you girls smile

• Posted

Hi Marie43202

Im glad you saw your GP

i hope you are feeling a bit better about the drug ....

smile x

• Posted

Hello, marie43202, Amitriptyline, I use to take. Yes, at first, they would gradually increase dosage, but, side effects, tremors not too bad, but, could not get up in the morning, scared me because my brain function did not work with my physical function,  sedated feeling all day. Definitely, let your Dr. know the side effects you are having. Take care. confused
    • Posted

Hi Malachite,

How long were u on Amitriptyline? Are u taking an alternative? Yes, definitely feel drained in morning, goes away by noon. I wish it would put me to sleep, I have really bad time getting to sleep. Personally, I think nothing short of a bomb can put to me sleep within good time. That's when I do my best thinking...lol. I envy those who can drop off at a nod.  Thanks for your comments smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.